Show Relay Speakers

Hi

We have the granite sound master station and beltpacks

will this http://www.canford.co.uk/TECPRO-COMMUNICATION-SYSTEM-Paging-and-show-relay-loudspeaker

work with the system?

Joel

Note this box is designed to output the audio from the coms/talk back circuit and not true Show Relay as such , what are you trying to achieve? there are likely to be more cost effective options depending on what you want.

cheers

Ian

The granite sound version is compatible with the basic comms system, but it doesn't have the override does it? The canford system allows people to turn down the show relay but when the master station mic is activated on this channel all the speakers turn up automatically. The Granite system doesn't do this, does it? My system in the theatre doesn't do this and every day somebody has to go round turning all the volumes back up, and every day people turn them down, missing their calls.

The granite sound version is compatible with the basic comms system, but it doesn't have the override does it? The canford system allows people to turn down the show relay but when the master station mic is activated on this channel all the speakers turn up automatically.

Yes I think you are right, the Granite system is like the old Tecpro system without any of the remote control features, so you get sound and call light but no other functions on newer Tecpro equipment. Perhaps the original poster could clarify what they are hoping to use this unit for as the title "show relay" is also a bit confusing.

Hi

Basically we have the granite sound master unit in the booth at the top of the auditorium.

We have the sound from a mic near the stage coming through the sound desk on a pre fade aux into the granite master unit on channel B (ch A is used for tech crew comms)

Also the stage manager has a granite two channel beltpack so he can switch between talking to tech crew or putting announcments out to the dressing rooms.

What we need as a low cost soloution for getting the sound out from the master unit actually into the dressing rooms.

My thoughts initially were to:

Run one xlr cable from the master unit into the patch panel.

Take xlr cable from the output of patch panel into either a

TecPro LS391

Granite Sound Intercom Monitor Unit.

In a recent theatre I have been in we had outdoor cabins as overflow for dressing rooms.

The speaker for the mic on stage and SM announcments was one tiny BUSH (argos) speaker with just a red and white rca connection coming in to it (no external power)

The cable must have been weatherproof as part of it was exposed to the outside elements.

I would like to achive something like this with just the RCA cables coming to a tiny speaker but I dont have any ideas

Bare in mind the granite MU is in the booth and we have an xlr patch to both SL and SR

Please help with the idea that is in brown

Joel

Hi

We have the granite sound master station and beltpacks

will this http://www.canford.c...lay-loudspeaker

work with the system?

Joel

Note this box is designed to output the audio from the coms/talk back circuit and not true Show Relay as such , what are you trying to achieve? there are likely to be more cost effective options depending on what you want.

cheers

Ian

In a recent theatre I have been in we had outdoor cabins as overflow for dressing rooms.

The speaker for the mic on stage and SM announcments was one tiny BUSH (argos) speaker with just a red and white rca connection coming in to it (no external power)

The cable must have been weatherproof as part of it was exposed to the outside elements.

I would like to achive something like this with just the RCA cables coming to a tiny speaker but I dont have any ideas

To do this you need an amp somewhere to drive the speaker. Paging/show relay is commonly done using a 100V line amp, which are relatively cheap and allow lots of speakers to be chained onto one speaker cable pair. You can get unbalanced audio out of the comms loop to feed this by connecting to pins 3 and 1 of the comms XLR.

Your tecpro speaker idea would also work but they are pricey.

Hi,

Could you give me links to a cheap, suitable amp

Also link to a self powered RCA speaker

and weather proof rca cable

There may need to be up to 10 speakers connected but if that was an issue we could get that number down to 7.

Also, soe rough instructions how to connect it all up would be great

Joel

To do this you need an amp somewhere to drive the speaker. Paging/show relay is commonly done using a 100V line amp, which are relatively cheap and allow lots of speakers to be chained onto one speaker cable pair. You can get unbalanced audio out of the comms loop to feed this by connecting to pins 3 and 1 of the comms XLR.

Your tecpro speaker idea would also work but they are pricey.

The Canford speaker you linked to would work fine - but needs local mains power, and worst, is damn expensive. Benefits are mainly that you drive it from the intercom line. 100V line cheap amp and a few cheap cabs could be much more economic - just an interface from the comms line to the amp input.

Hi,

There may need to be up to 10 speakers connected but if that was an issue we could get that number down to 7.

Joel

As Tim said, you need one amplifier, and a number of passive speakers, which are not 'self powered'. I'm sure the RCA cable wasn't weatherproof, just cheap, no joints outside and not left outside for that long.

If I was doing this I would be looking in this category on CPC for speakers: http://cpc.farnell.c...binet-100v-line (with a power tapping of =< 6W, because you want to run 10 of them)

For an amplifier I would be looking at something like this http://cpc.farnell.c...-60w/dp/DP33214 which gives you a total power budget of 60 watts. This means for 10 speakers on the 100V line the maximum power tapping you can have is 6W each, so that the total is 60W.

For 100V speaker cable, ordinary 2-core figure-of-8 wire is adequate and cheap so something like http://cpc.farnell.c...-blk/dp/CB17507 would work. If it's actually outside then double-insulated 2-core 0.75mm^2 mains flex is mechanically better protected.

You should be able to take audio from pin 1 (ground) and pin 3 (signal) of the intercom line straight into the line input of the amplifier, although for safety I would probably put a 100nF capacitor in the signal line to stop DC from the intercom affecting the amplifier.

You don't have to do this via the comms system. As an alternative, you could route the comms 'B' circuit into the sound desk, and take the pre-fade Aux on the desk (which now carries the comms and the stage sound mixed by the sound desk) directly to your backstage amplifier and speakers. This makes getting the sound out of the comms a bit easier (because the desk inputs are more flexible than the relay amp) but uses up another main desk channel.

Hi,

This method would prob. be best:

You don't have to do this via the comms system. As an alternative, you could route the comms 'B' circuit into the sound desk, and take the pre-fade Aux on the desk (which now carries the comms and the stage sound mixed by the sound desk) directly to your backstage amplifier and speakers. This makes getting the sound out of the comms a bit easier (because the desk inputs are more flexible than the relay amp) but uses up another main desk channel.

Could you give exact step by step instructions and Links to a suitable speaker (cheap)

I have plenty of spare channels on the huge A&H Desk!

Joel

Hi,

Joel

As Tim said, you need one amplifier, and a number of passive speakers, which are not 'self powered'. I'm sure the RCA cable wasn't weatherproof, just cheap, no joints outside and not left outside for that long.

If I was doing this I would be looking in this category on CPC for speakers: http://cpc.farnell.c...binet-100v-line (with a power tapping of =< 6W, because you want to run 10 of them)

For an amplifier I would be looking at something like this http://cpc.farnell.c...-60w/dp/DP33214 which gives you a total power budget of 60 watts. This means for 10 speakers on the 100V line the maximum power tapping you can have is 6W each, so that the total is 60W.

For 100V speaker cable, ordinary 2-core figure-of-8 wire is adequate and cheap so something like http://cpc.farnell.c...-blk/dp/CB17507 would work. If it's actually outside then double-insulated 2-core 0.75mm^2 mains flex is mechanically better protected.

You should be able to take audio from pin 1 (ground) and pin 3 (signal) of the intercom line straight into the line input of the amplifier, although for safety I would probably put a 100nF capacitor in the signal line to stop DC from the intercom affecting the amplifier.

If you don't know how to spec and find appropriate equipment from this guide then you don't know how to correctly install and calibrate it (there are actual laws and regulations covering a permanent installation like this which don't apply to day-to-day theatre sound kit) nor will you know how to do the basic fault-finding connecting this system in to your existing hardwear will require. No matter how you look at this at some point in the immediate future you're going to have to get someone else in to deal with something on this, why not get that person in right at the start so you save time, money and hassle?

Archived