Alpha Pack

SceneMaster

Hi,

We just hired two alpha packs 2s and one of the fuses went. We usually get a pack of spares but this time for some reason we didn't. The fuses that are meant to be in the pack are 6.3A 20mmx5mm I don't have any and won't be able to get any before the show, but I have a pack for 5A 20mmX5mm fuses from the fusing inside our 5amp Pulsar Rack Pack. Is there any reason why I shouldn't use this downsized fuse (the lower fussing isn't a problem as I am not drawing more than 5amp on that channel). I don't think there will be any problem but I though I would just check. I shall ring the hire company and ask them as well.

Thanks,

Hi,

We just hired two alpha packs 2s and one of the fuses went. We usally get a pack of spares but this time for some reason we didn't. The fuses that are meant to be in the pack are 6.3A 20mmx5mm I don't have any and won't be able to get any before the show, but I have a pack for 5A 20mmX5mm fuses from the fuseing inside our 5amp Pulsar Rack Pack. Is there any reason why I shouldn't use this downsized fuse (the lower fussing isn't a problem as I am not drawing more than 5amp on that channel). I don't think there will be any problem but I though I would just check. I shall ring the hire company and ask them aswell.

Thanks,

There is Probably no problem with using the 5A fuse (as long as you bear in mind you can't push the dimmer as hard. However fuses come in different types. Generally "Quick Blow" (which blow quickly) and "Anti-Surge" which are slow blow but are called anti-surge as it makes clearer the advantage of this type. It would be best if the 5A fuse you fit is of the same type as the 6.3A you removed. Fitting a "quick blow" where you want an Anti-surge will probably result in the quick blow blowing when there is no fault (starting surge of a lamp). Fitting an anti-surge when you want a quick blow could (if you're really unlucky) result in a damaged power component in the dimmer if a failure occurred in a lamp (as the fuse might not blow fast enough to protect the component).

It depends exactly how the dimmer has been designed and I don't know for Alpha packs.

The Zero88 Spec says 20mm 6.3amp HRC fuses… what is HRC?

Ina nutshell, they're the ones that you can't see through. HRC - "High Rupture Current" These are designed not to explode and send bits of glass everywhere when they go. The small (20mm) ones are often greyish or the bigger ones other colours.

These are a very good idea, expecially with approx 10A ish upwards ratings, as things start getting a little violent when higher current fuses go. If yo can get this type, it saves you sweeping the glass up, and trying to pick it out of your dimmers fuse holder.

HRC - "High Rupture Capacity" - generally sand-filled. I don't think it relates to the quickblow/antisurge thing.

Means the tube is less likely to shatter than the glass ones.

Bruce.

(Edit: Pah, beaten to it!)

as I understand it, they are effectively quick blow fuses as the sand will inhibit the blown wire from arcing for as long as a normal one will, thus cutting off the current faster than an empty fuse. [which arcs for a short while as the wire melts before cutting off the connection]

if wrong, my apologies and pray tell me where, how and why etc...

cheers

andrew

Slightly :)

I've always felt that "anti-surge" is a terribly ambiguous name! It could mean a fuse which prevents surges, or one which won't blow if you get a surge :)

I tend to think of them as "quick blow" and "not quick blow", which to me makes more sense....

Your mileage may vary.

Bruce.

Ok, well the ones in the pulsar pack are sand filled and white not sure if they are anti surge or quick blow but anyway I think that they should work (someone say yes!!!) the certainly fit and are less than the max channel rating so there are no issues there… but as it is not my equipment so I shall ring or email.

Thanks,

If it were me, I'd use them, if nothing else was to hand, but would make sure that they weren't left in for the next user.... I wouldn't expect any problems.

Obviously I don't know your circumstances, but are you sure you can't get the "right" fuses in time? Places like CPC, RS, Farnell etc will do next day delivery - and if you've got a corporate account with them there's often no minimum order and free delivery. I ordered some stuff from CPC last week, about 4.30pm, using their "ordinary" delivery service, not the "guaranteed before 10" one. Even so, it was on my desk at 9am the next morning.

I see you're at school - I'd guess the school science dept will have an account!

Other places to try - Maplin etc in the high street. Maybe even Currys/Comet/B&Q/etc

And TV/electronics repair places. Check the yellow pages. They'll charge silly prices though... I stay in a fairly rural seaside town, but I can think of at least 3 places within a 5 minute drive which would sell this sort of stuff.

Bruce.

And TV/electronics repair places. Check the yellow pages. They'll charge silly prices though... I stay in a fairly rural seaside town, but I can think of at least 3 places within a 5 minute drive which would sell this sort of stuff.

If the worst came to the worst, chances are a BR-er would have a fuse or two they could pop in 1st class post for you :-)

Hi,

I would buy some but firstly it is not my problem and it is not the schools. I am not paying out of my own money for a school show… I have recently just spent £50 which I won’t get back on the show… then again it is my final exam piece and as I am doing lighting it is rather important. The school won’t pay, it is the hire company’s problem really and they should be the ones replacing the fuse. The 5amp one will work for the purposes of my show. I will then take it out and send the old fuse back on return of the equipment.

Thanks for all your help, I just wanted to make sure it was safe to put the 5amp fuse in (I couldn’t think why not at all) but better safe than sorry.

Hi,

I would buy some but firstly it is not my problem and it is not the schools. I am not paying out of my own money for a school show… I have recently just spent £50 which I won’t get back on the show… then again it is my final exam piece and as I am doing lighting it is rather important. The school won’t pay, it is the hire company’s problem really and they should be the ones replacing the fuse. The 5amp one will work for the purposes of my show. I will then take it out and send the old fuse back on return of the equipment.

Thanks for all your help, I just wanted to make sure it was safe to put the 5amp fuse in (I couldn’t think why not at all) but better safe than sorry.

Surely in the time you ahve been posting this you could ahve contacted the hire company who could either have sent a new fuse by post / courrier to you or told you to buy a new pack and knocked a fiver off the hire. I guess it depends how friendly they are.

Courrier costs about a fiver for a fuse to travel across the same city, or up to £25 within fifty miles within 6 hours (well my local favourite company charge this anyway). The beauty is that they charge by weight, with the minimum only a fiver - cheapoer than a taxi, which was our old method.

Archived