Anyone here got a Tesco Hudl2 ?

BigYinUK

Hi all

I'm having trouble with my Tesco Hudl 2. It won't see any 5Ghz wireless APs. Its on the latest Android (Lollipop) and according to the specs and Tesco tech support, it should switch automatically to 5Ghz if there is 5Ghz available.

Anyone got one and could confirm that their's works with a 5Ghz AP?

Regards

1462870890[/url]' post='538280']

Hi all

I'm having trouble with my Tesco Hudl 2. It won't see any 5Ghz wireless APs. Its on the latest Android (Lollipop) and according to the specs and Tesco tech support, it should switch automatically to 5Ghz if there is 5Ghz available.

Regards

For your info the latest Android is marshmallow

I have a hudl2 and it definitely "sees" the 5GHz on my dual band ap (i.e. it's shown in the list of available networks), however I've never actually tried to connect to it - it's at home, I can try later.

@timsabre

Thanks for that.

Mine won't even see a 5Ghz AP, let alone connect to it.

If I switch my Airport Express to 802.11n (5Ghz) the Hudl 2 doesn't see a network at all. iPhone and iPad and Macs do of course.

Is there a 2.4Ghz/5Ghz option in the WiFi, Advanced, settings on your Hudl?

@nikkicallaghan

Most up to date Android available for the Hudl 2 is Lollipop (without a root).

It could be a channel thing or perhaps to do with the 20/40MHz channel width.

Unless there are any details in the Hudl support then try experimenting with channels and widths.

A caveat to this is using wide channels can cause problems due to them overlapping or interfere with bluetooth.

E2A

I have also seen some devices become confused if the 2.4 and 5 have the same SSID. Try giving them different SSIDs and see if this helps.

I think its a fundamental issue with the Hudl 2, Lollipop for the Hudl or my Hudl 2 anyway, as various WiFi diagnostic tools are not reporting any 5Ghz signal (tx or rx). I'll wait until I have some more info, possibly from timsabre, if no luck then its a factory reset or possibly my Hudl 2 has a fault :(

I've tried various combinations of SSID and different channels as that was a known issue with the Nexus and Lollipop - no luck :(

I've got a Hudl 2 in front of me but most of what's been written so far may as well be in Gaelic for all I understand of it.

But if it helps I've just found under Settings, Wi-Fi, (top right 3 dots) Advanced, Wi-Fi frequency band there's a choice of Auto/5GHz/2.4GHz. So if yours happens to be set to 2.4GHz only then that could presumably be an issue?

@marktownend

Do you know what version of Android you are running? See under About Tablet, mine says Android Version 5.1

BTW I don't get that option under WiFi, Advanced (although I'm sure I should). Just the other options: Network notification, Scanning always available, Install certificates, WiFi Direct, WPS Push Button and WPS Pin Entry.

The plot thickens.....!!

I've had a play with it now.

My Hudl2 does connect to my 5g wifi.

But it does not have the options discussed above for enabling or disabling 2.4G / 5G / Auto or anything. There's no sign of an option like that.

Thanks timsabre and marktownend

I reset my Hudl back to factory and there is still no option to switch - that must just be on 4.4.x Android.

Tesco Hudl support are also saying the Hudl 2 will connect to 5Ghz APs in preference to 2.4Ghz APs, so that makes sense.

Hmmm......not sure what to do now other than maybe try some other 5Ghz APs and see if it will connect to them. It certainly doesn't like my 2 Apple Airport Express APs.

Regards and thanks all.

One other Android tablet here, but that's only 2.4Ghz. I've got 2 Airport Express units and a number of other routers/APs but they are all just 2.4Ghz. Needless to say all our Apple devices work happily with 2.4Ghz or 5Ghz.

I'm trying to get the Hudl 2 working so that I can use it with X32 Mix Station and X-Air programs without the worry that I may have a problem on the 2.4Ghz band at a show. Not that we've had any issues (yet).

I'll find someone/somewhere with a 5Ghz AP and test further I think.

Regards and thanks all.

• 3 weeks later...

It could be an issue with DFS channels. If set to auto your router may be using one of those, try changing the routers channel to a non-DFS one. Off the top of my head 36, 40 and 48 are all non-DFS but you can easily find a full list online. Have a HUDL 2 in a drawer somewhere so will see if I can dig it out and double check for you.

From memory on 5.1 you can access the advanced wifi settings mentioned previously in this thread by going to:

Settings -> WIFI

Click the more button in the corner

You'll then get the option for Advanced. http://www.blue-room.org.uk/public/style_emoticons/default/smile.gif

Archived