LED Pars

BlueShift

LED lighting I think can be cool. however my only criticism would be is that you can't dim LED lighting. At least I don't think

LED lighting can not be dimmed from a regular dimmer, instead LED lighting uses its own onboard dimming (using PWM), and is controlled via DMX.

• Replies 487
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Hey guys,

we are up for getting some new lighting kit in our warehouse. currently we have 24 par cans (12 on stage, 12 on cieling) and im looking at getting two profiles. I also came accross the LED par fixtures on usedlighting.co.uk and they looked like a great way to get some colormixing happening. I particularly had my eye on the par64 short nose variety for 94 GBP each + VAT.

So my question is - how bright are they? and I assume they take up 3 DMX channels each?

Cheers

As for the brightness, what matters is the LUX from a certain height but not the Luminous FLUX. You shall figure the LUX value. DMX control is too complicate why not use a remote controller at hand and make the light changing to suit your mood? As far as I know, this technology are available now.

A concurrent post has been automatically merged from this point on.

LED lighting I think can be cool. however my only criticism would be is that you can't dim LED lighting. At least I don't think

LED lighting can not be dimmed from a regular dimmer, instead LED lighting uses its own onboard dimming (using PWM), and is controlled via DMX.

Can not agree more. But DMX is a certain complicated. The remote controller can solve all of these to make the light suit your mood.

As for the brightness, what matters is the LUX from a certain height but not the Luminous FLUX. You shall figure the LUX value. DMX control is too complicate why not use a remote controller at hand and make the light changing to suit your mood? As far as I know, this technology are available now.

Can not agree more. But DMX is a certain complicated. The remote controller can solve all of these to make the light suit your mood.

Eric, I realise that English isn't your first language, but this is a theatre forum and DMX is our stock-in-trade control system for anything lighting-related. We usually want our lighting colours to change in the same way every night of a show - mood control doesn't have a lot to do with what most of us do, and so DMX lighting desks are what we do.

Eric, I realise that English isn't your first language, but this is a theatre forum and DMX is our stock-in-trade control system for anything lighting-related. We usually want our lighting colours to change in the same way every night of a show - mood control doesn't have a lot to do with what most of us do, and so DMX lighting desks are what we do.

Yeah. Your DMX must be controlled by the computer. Right? I am not so sure whether you noticed there is one kind without the need of computer. That is good.

Your DMX must be controlled by the computer. Right?

Depends if you class a lighting desk as a computer

there is one kind without the need of computer. That is good.

will this other kind also talk to the moving lights ,dimmers smoke machines and the DMX controlled coffee machine without another conversions?

Hi, as an installer, we have installed many various led fixtures, the ultra bright led units 500mw are ok if used only for wash or as an effect for FOH, and you need multiples off, min 6-8 units to achieve the same wash as 4 par 56 with a 300w med flood.

the 1watt led fixtures are far brighter, with the showtec unit having a 10 deg dispersion, so it looks more like a raylite, but not quite. the 3 watt fixtures with the tri colour luxion leds are the best in the budget end of the market, closer to a cp61, all of the above are not great on open white as it always has a blue or pink tinge.

and dont forget you need enough channels on your desk to control them, or if you store them as fixtures on an programable desk, they do not always colour mix and the in built macro`s can be a pain to controll or overide!!!

but for some corporate/school aplications where power is an issue they come into there own.

hope this helps.

• 2 years later...

For fear of asking a question that has already been answered, I was hoping someone may be able to give me some advice with regards to channels on the Stairville LED Par 64 RGBA. They come with a 4, 6 and 8 channel mode but I have been unable to find any information on what each channel corresponds to. Heres a link to the unit if it helps.

http://www.thomann.de/gb/stairville_led_par64_mkii_rgba_10mm_black.htm

Thanks in advance,

Matt

Archived