Moving head power supply needed

gyro_gearloose

Hi guys

I've been given a small LED moving wash light to fix, and its in need of a new power supply. I've tested the rest of the unit with my bench power supply and it all seems to be okay, so its just the power supply that needs replacing. I need one that can output 12 and 24 volts DC at 4 to 5 Amps, and it needs to be quite small as theres not much room. The dead one is only about 3 inches square, by 1.5 inches tall. I'll try contacting the manufacturers, but as its not a lamp-specific part I'm hoping someone might know of something off the shelf that will work.

Thanks

Another option would be a single 24V supply and a small 12V buck converter fed from it to give you the 12V supply. They're dead cheap and might allow you more choice for a decent spec'd 24V one. Obviously an integrated one would be the best solution, but if that option fails then it's worth considering.

http://i157.photobucket.com/albums/t41/gyro_gearloose/File%2009-05-2016%2011%2024%2048.jpeg

Heres a picture of the power supply. Its only 70mm square! Although its output is labelled -v, g, and +v, it was actually connected such that -v is ground, ground is 12 volts, and +v is 24 volts. The 12 volt supply is used for the control logic, the pan/tilt motors, and the red LEDs, while the 24 volt supply is used for the green, blue and white LEDs.

I'm wondering if the power supply was originally designed for an audio amplifier (hence the -v, g, and +v connections), and that part of the reason it failed was because the load on it was not symmetrical? The main reason it failed though was that both of the fans on the unit had been gummed up solid with fluff, which won't have helped with keeping things cool.

That doesn't look like a terribly complicated PSU. I can probably repair it for you. I've fixed far more involved units than that. PM me if you'd like me to take a look.

Dave

Thanks for all the help so far. As the fixture is only a cheap QTX thing I don't really want to spend much on fixing it.

I have found a few power supplies on eBay which look like they may do what I need, so I may get one of those. I've metered the current used by the 12 and 24 volt feeds, and I get maximum loads of 1.3A and 730mA respectively. This is when all of the RGBW leds are at full, and the head is moving about. Seems a bit low for the 24 volt feed, as the unit is sold as having 48W of LEDs.

Archived