LED Rope light

Nicktaylor

I have three panels face with light gauze that I used as movable screens on stage. I think if I line the frame inside with rope light I can make them into colour panels. Has anyone got experience of this. Not worth spending much on but I dont want to waste cash. ideally RGB leds and three channels of control

Rope light may not be bright enough as you are doing edge lighting. Led tape has typically 120 degree beamwidth and brighter LED die than rope light.

I have seen screens made out of translucent panels, edge lit from the bottom, that look great. Using individually addressable led's allows for flow effects.

Check out 5050 led tape on eBay. $15 ish will get you a 5mtr roll with basic controller and dodgy power supply. Cheap enough to experiment with for fun. If you decide it's worth it you can buy a better (DMX) controller and seperate power supply and use the same tape. If you have long runs, best To power both ends of the strip due to voltage loss.

Archived