Home made Fake Fire / Flame

/skn

I'm not the most hands-on/technical person you'll find, my normal involvement in theatre is getting some hires from props previously used by local groups. BUT... sometimes I get immersed in something and this time it was a fake fire effect.

I had a giant oven built for Sweeney Todd and was looking at having a flame effect within. I was quoted daft numbers to buy (and even hire) a vapour-based unit so ended up building one. Initially from an old pond filter and then 'upgraded' to one of those plastic storage boxes.

Total cost around £250, but a lot of this was for the 220/12v transformers and I could build it cheaper second time around. So basically I have a 'sealed' (with the help of some silicone around the lid) 19 litre box with distilled (pre-boiled in my case) water. Inside the box is one of those 'mist makers' that make the water teeny airborne particles. This one has 3 heads, I might go for 5 or even 10 heads if I made it again. Then there is a 12v PC cooling fan built into the lid on an adjustable voltage (to change the speed) then a 40mm tank connector with pipework running into my prop. There is a bit of water build up in the pipework so having the lowest point NOT in the prop is sensible (only talking a few mm).

Inside the prop is a row of 12 halogen bulbs - you need the heat from the halogens. They are all amber in colour. The water vapour is piped into a wooden box with an adjustable lid allowing just a thin section for the vapour to escape across the top of the halogens. The heat from the halogens then 'wafts' (told you I wasn't technical) the vapour and evaporates a lot of it - creating a flame-like effect.

https://www.youtube....h?v=DGGx5qMt-AI

I'm pretty pleased, but also would do things differently if did it again. The transformers are under the halogens as part of the lighting unit and they got a bit warm (and saw occasional safety cut outs). I would have these away from the lights in future. Also it doesn't seem to be an exact science. A tiny adjustment to the speed of the fan, the size of the outlet and even adding/removing small obstacles to divert/move the vapour around within the box make huge differences. I had it running beautifully and thought I'd add some more water then film it. Even though the mist maker floats, for some reason just adding water changed the effect massively (for the worse). It needs some refinement, but might be useful for others.

That's fantastic! I was about to dig my silk flames out for a production of 39 Steps for a fireplace, but you've inspired me to have a go at building my own. I've got 6 single head ones on their way from China currently.

Excellent, well done. I will be keeping this idea for again when I have to do a fake fire.

I did one useing a battery powered someke machine, some 1"1/2 wast pipe and leds. It worked well for what I wanted but it could worked it better.

Thanks guys, I'm pleased with it considering my skills in such things. If any one wants to have a better explanation of building it, drop me a line (I'll no doubt use the wrong words, but you might get the idea). Lots of 'hydroponic' system videos on YouTube building the water vapour containers - then just added bit of heat, lighting and direction. There are a few vids of this as well, but a lot don't seem to want to share the 'tech' behind it. My 'mist maker' sits in a made-to-measure 'float' which keeps it the right distance under the surface - you might not get that with individual/standalone units. Those fake fireplace things (for the home) use the same concept, but a bit more refined - I like to think mine could be adapted to make stage bonfires, pressurised flame effects or whatever and is completely scalable. I tried with the vapour travelling within pipes all the way - holes drilled in the pipes over the halogens. Different sized/angled holes produce a range of styles - but it does get a bit warm in there (and I was in plastic pipe). Opted to just pipe into a wooden box, which again gets warm, but can be treated with retardant etc.

Looks great. I've used those water vapourisers to do a fire in a pit in a small, above a pub studio theatre. I think the conversation went:

Designer: We need a fire in a pit

Me: Great, I'll find a way to fake it

Designer: I think it needs to be real flame

Me: How long does it need to burn for?

Designer: About 17 minutes

Me: No way, I'll find a way to fake it

Designer: But the audience are so close, they'll know its fake

Me: Just, no

Worked out perfectly and looked great in the end

Archived