Digital console

taylord

If it wasn't so far I would have been there in a shot! I'm likely to be picking up a new sound desk this Summer for the college I work at. The choice is between the Qu32 and X32 - I've been trying to convince them to upgrade to a digital desk since I started last year.

Sadly Brighton is right at the other end of the country, but your thread has been very helpful in confirming that I've been looking at right 2 desks. Let us all know how you get on!

I certainly will. I'm also looking at the Soundcraft SI Impact, although not found anyone with this desk yet! I'll keep you in the loop!

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So the date is set for 29th June from 1:30 pm to demo the X32 and QU-32 in Southport. There are two more spaces, if anyone else is interested then drop me a message.

Cheers!

If it wasn't so far I would have been there in a shot! I'm likely to be picking up a new sound desk this Summer for the college I work at. The choice is between the Qu32 and X32 - I've been trying to convince them to upgrade to a digital desk since I started last year.

Sadly Brighton is right at the other end of the country, but your thread has been very helpful in confirming that I've been looking at right 2 desks. Let us all know how you get on!

Massive thanks to Boswell & S&L for today's demos! Opened up my eyes to the world of digital. Slightly swaying towards the QU-32 at the moment due to the fact you can lock it down more. This would suit me at school for when students are using it.

I've plumped for X32.

The flexibility and price did it in the end.

I was prevaricating as I currently don't have a big show until October but kicked into making a decision watching last Thursday's fall in the value of the pound.

Will post a few thoughts once I've used it in anger.

Excellent. Glad you had a good day out looking at the desks.

How are the cue stacks on the QU-32 (for theatre) - I've read it wasn't quite as versatile as the X32 - somewhere?

I'm definitely going to be getting a desk, ordering in the next week or so, and have been sent a very good cost for a QU-32 (that almost matches the cheapest X32 I've seen). But I'm still swaying towards the x32 as I need something versatile across recording, live music and live theatre.

So the date is set for 29th June from 1:30 pm to demo the X32 and QU-32 in Southport. There are two more spaces, if anyone else is interested then drop me a message.

Cheers!

Massive thanks to Boswell & S&L for today's demos! Opened up my eyes to the world of digital. Slightly swaying towards the QU-32 at the moment due to the fact you can lock it down more. This would suit me at school for when students are using it.

just seen this. you are absolutely welcome and as boswell says, it's nice to put something back in after getting so much out of this forum.

doing something like this also tends to bring thoughts into sharp focus - I do believe the x32 is a swiss army knife when it comes to features and I wouldn't be without some of those but it was illuminating to see how the theatre lock down features to limit the functioning for visiting groups - - I think that has to mean if you are buying a multi user console to be operated by people of limited ability or experience then the Qu has to have the edge over the x32.

The cue stacks look good, although I didn't really go to far into them. I'm sure for my use in School AM Dram they will be sufficient. The X32 seemed as though it could be more intricate with the like of snippets as well. All in all, I think that both desks do a similar job very well. It's the ability to lock down individual channels, button etc that has probably swayed me.

Excellent. Glad you had a good day out looking at the desks.

How are the cue stacks on the QU-32 (for theatre) - I've read it wasn't quite as versatile as the X32 - somewhere?

I'm definitely going to be getting a desk, ordering in the next week or so, and have been sent a very good cost for a QU-32 (that almost matches the cheapest X32 I've seen). But I'm still swaying towards the x32 as I need something versatile across recording, live music and live theatre.

I think that if you are used to digital desks and have experienced operators then the X32 is the way to go, it can do more. But if you are used to Analogue or have inexperienced operators then the QU32 is more intuitive and easier to pick up and operate. It still has lots and Bells & whistles for the experienced if required.

We moved from a Soundcraft K2/24 and all operators have picked up the desk quickly (apart from one who struggled with the K2/24!)

I admit bias because I have one but the X32 has not been voted best mixer three years in a row for nothing. I recently worked with a pro engineer who has a BAFTA Award , he was sceptical at first but offered to buy my X32 if ever I wanted to sell it !!!

Nowt wrong with the X32, time and several hundred thousand sales have proved that. It's a great desk and has shaken up the marketplace, without it the likes of the Qus and the rest would be much more expensive and the sound and capabilities of these modern digital desks (even my little old Mackie DL1608) is way better than even most mid range desks from 10 years ago. Well impressed with my X32s.

Archived