Digital console

taylord

The full console X32 has 12 plus 8 plus 1 faders.

I'm sure you meant 16 plus 8 plus 1.

Yup, senior moment there :)

edit :- I was puzzled where I had this image of a 12/4/1 desk configuration from and have just realised it's the A&H iLive T80 I sometimes use.

A%26H%20iLive%20T80.jpg

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'd be happy with the band on a separate page but with up to 16 radio mics plushalf a dozen or so floats, any combination of which could need balancing against each other, I don't think 16 chans/page is quite enough.

With 16 radio mics plus 6 floats, you don't get that much spare in any 32 channel desk for any size of band on top. Are you sure 32 is enough for you....?

I know what you mean Alec but on amdram budgets I can't really justify the cost of anything bigger. Most shows use up to 12 radios and bands tend to be quite small so 32 should generally be enough. I think my first resort if running low would be to put the floats on a small analogue sub desk and if that doesn't do it, to hire a bigger desk for anything more ambitious.

I'm in the same position. I mainly do musical theatre. I'd be happy with the band on a separate page but with up to 16 radio mics plushalf a dozen or so floats, any combination of which could need balancing against each other, I don't think 16 chans/page is quite enough.

It's a shame. I like the extra flexibility and slightly better price tag of the Behringer but I think I'm going to end up going down the QU32 route.

Having only used analogue up till now, I'd be keen to hear the views of more experienced digital users with regard to musical theatre use.

you get used to flipping back and forward more easily than you would think, plus you have your DCA's, PLUS you can move any channel from any 'in' to any fader position. it's not really that big a deal. There are plenty of reasons to go for one console in favour of another but I really don't think layer flipping is it - in fact with scribble strips it's arguable that it EASIER to tell what's where, irrespective of layer.

also edited to add when considering channel count they aren't 32

the qu32 is 32 + 2 stereo (I think)

I know the x32 is 32 plus 6 (reduced functionality - meant as line in's)

Has anyone used the Soundcraft SI Impact? I think it looks great and the price is really good too!

Yes, happy user here. It's not flawless by any means - the screen isn't all that, but it does have a good tablet app which compensates for that. Sounds great, has all the functions you'd expect, menu navigation a wee bit clunky, but no more so than an LS9, and (the reason I bought it) probably the easiest digital desk for a new-to-digital user. Very good value for money as far as I'm concerned.

My recommendation is the Allen & Heath QU32. I have a Behringer X-Air here which uses the same preamps and fx engine as the X32 and the A&H pres were noticeably cleaner at the same gain + fader settings. Also, I preferred the fx in the QU.

• 2 weeks later...

I have secured funding now so what's the chances of being able to get an X32, QU32 and SI Impact in the same room somewhere in the north west? A massive ask, I know

any time you like for the x32 with a bit of notice. obviously early week is more likely to work well than later in the week. send a private message to get my contact details.

1462917458[/url]' post='538330']

I have secured funding now so what's the chances of being able to get an X32, QU32 and SI Impact in the same room somewhere in the north west? A massive ask, I know

I can do a qu24

Hi all,

In regards to the channel count situation it may be worth looking at the Si Performer or Expression instead of the Impact as you can expand the channel count the to 64 inputs using their digital stage boxes. So you could have the standard 32 channels and hire in a digi stage box for anything bigger. Admittedly you would have to buy a Madi card as well if you wanted to expand the inputs and have multitrack recording but it's a very easy to install and setup.

Just a thought.

any time you like for the x32 with a bit of notice. obviously early week is more likely to work well than later in the week. send a private message to get my contact details.

Week beginning 27th June for QU32, we have back to back shows until then.

Week beginning 27th June would be cool for me. I will private message you both and swap email address etc.

I can do a qu24

Thank you for the offer, very kind of you, but the venue has a QU32 which is what I'm looking to buy.

• 3 weeks later...

So the date is set for 29th June from 1:30 pm to demo the X32 and QU-32 in Southport. There are two more spaces, if anyone else is interested then drop me a message.

Cheers!

So the date is set for 29th June from 1:30 pm to demo the X32 and QU-32 in Southport. There are two more spaces, if anyone else is interested then drop me a message.

Cheers!

If it wasn't so far I would have been there in a shot! I'm likely to be picking up a new sound desk this Summer for the college I work at. The choice is between the Qu32 and X32 - I've been trying to convince them to upgrade to a digital desk since I started last year.

Sadly Brighton is right at the other end of the country, but your thread has been very helpful in confirming that I've been looking at right 2 desks. Let us all know how you get on!

Archived