Event Electrician qualifications

HI there,

I am just wondering if there are and if so what qualifications would be needed to do the electrical side of things at live events, (gigs, festivals etc)

I have a masters degree in electronics engineering, pat test qualification ( I know this wouldn't count in any slightest) and 5 years experience in the industry, but where my degree mainly dealt with extra low voltage and low currents in the digital domain I'm not sure if it would mean I'm necessarily qualified handling the generator, power distribution side of things at for instance festivals.

anyone able to offer some advice?

thanks in advance,

matt

It is more like a suite of things rather than a single piece of paper, at least where festival work is concerned.

C&G 2365 level 3, 17th edition, BS 7909 are all more than handy but skills and skill tickets can be just as necessary. You will find a need for straight mast and telehandler tickets, MEWP ticket, HIAB ticket, some version of safety card, the ability to move a truck around site, know how to bleed a diesel engine and more.

Why not give one of the event power companies a call, The Powerline/Firefly/Gofer, and ask them?

The issue usually is that most courses assume that the supply company's contractors have terminated the underground cables to fused (and metered) connections for either three wire (LNE 240v) or five wire (L1,L2,L3, N and E) so they barely touch on this, which is exactly what you need to know. The generator turns (usually) diesel into safely usable electricity so fuel management, diesel engine management will come into your world as will earthing regimes and conductor sizing and all the distro and RCD and overload protection. BS 7909 is the specific standard. Some knowledge and some experience is essential.

1460736541[/url]' post='537370']

HI there,

I am just wondering if there are and if so what qualifications would be needed to do the electrical side of things at live events, (gigs, festivals etc)

I have a masters degree in electronics engineering, pat test qualification ( I know this wouldn't count in any slightest) and 5 years experience in the industry, but where my degree mainly dealt with extra low voltage and low currents in the digital domain I'm not sure if it would mean I'm necessarily qualified handling the generator, power distribution side of things at for instance festivals.

anyone able to offer some advice?

thanks in advance,

matt

Being someone who does exactly what you would like to do for a large production and generator company based near manchester, I would suggest you get your head around BS7909.

A good way to do this is get James Eade's IET book on 7909 and also if you can get on one of his courses which we amongst others host.

http://www.eade.uk.com

www.vme-uk.com are us

Having had a look at the booking details thro James site, we are currently trying to get enough people to host a course and ours is three days and concentrates more on supplies from generators from 6 to 2 x 200 kva sync sets and all sizes of distro and cabling from 16a to 400a three phase

Archived