X32 recording media

revbobuk

So what's the biggest USB stick that people have found to work for recording audio from the X32? And has anyone managed to get a hard drive to work for that? We found out the hard way that if the stick fills during a recording, the X32 doesn't close the file gracefully, but simply fails, and declares the track you were recording to be 0 bytes. And since the recordings are all WAV files, it doesn't take all that many services to fill up an 8Gb stick.

So what's the biggest USB stick that people have found to work for recording audio from the X32? And has anyone managed to get a hard drive to work for that? We found out the hard way that if the stick fills during a recording, the X32 doesn't close the file gracefully, but simply fails, and declares the track you were recording to be 0 bytes. And since the recordings are all WAV files, it doesn't take all that many services to fill up an 8Gb stick.

Unfortunately USB sticks are not very consistent. We have a 16GB stick that works, but another one that doesn't. Also, bizarrely the method of plugging in the stick is important. If you push it in very slowly, then it will always work. If you ram it in quickly then quite often the X32 will not recognize the stick. I can only think this is because the stick controller gets slightly more time to boot before the X32 tries to access it.

Never tried a hard drive.

kingston data traveller 8gb and 16gb always work for me - I have a half dozen that I use in ad-hoc rotation.

500mb will do around 45 minutes. you are limited to 2 gb per file. assuming a 16gb traveller and a 1 hour record time then should get about 20 one hour files.

0 gb files happen more commonly when the stick is pulled out without saving or when the power is switched off.

my experience with kingston sticks says that at least for the x32 I wouldn't use anything else.

Don't know if this helps or not......

What QU users are reporting on A&Hs forums, is that sticks with a higher read/write speeds tend to perform much better. So, the starting place is to look for the USB3 products which can then run as fast as the USB2 port on the desk will let them.

Personally I use SanDisk Extreme (I have 16, 32 & 64 gB) which is capable of 245MB/s transfer, so way more than fast enough for 18 audio tracks in real time. No point in going past 64GB as I'd hit the 4GB per file limit almost immediately.

Archived