stage edge lighting / protection

ianl

can anyone recommend a product for front edge of a permanent stage to show the talent where it is, that will survive people standing on and flightcases put on and dragged across

I'm thinking along the lines of a heavy duty aluminium extrusion, either with a reflective tape or LED tape or both, with the shiny bit angled to the talent not the audience. ideally with the angled bit recessed into the extrusion so it doesn't get damaged

can anyone recommend a product for front edge of a permanent stage to show the talent where it is, that will survive people standing on and flightcases put on and dragged across

I'm thinking along the lines of a heavy duty aluminium extrusion, either with a reflective tape or LED tape or both, with the shiny bit angled to the talent not the audience. ideally with the angled bit recessed into the extrusion so it doesn't get damaged

We used plastic skirting with just a couple of millimetres peeking over the edge of the stage, with electro-luminescent wire glued into that edge. Does take a battering though, and am about to replace the wire for the 2nd time in 7 years.

I did look at the edge safe, but its big, ugly, and expensive. my stage is small, flat and will never have a mewp, tower, or other wheeled access on it

Are you trying to over-think this??

Is this to combat an actual identified risk in your space, or is it to satisfy a pen-pusher?

Surely the talent (and crew) must be aware that there IS an edge to the stage and they mustn't stray TOO close to it at the risk of stepping off...?

A couple of venues I've used have a simple tensa-barrier across the stage front when fitups are ongoing, especially when the pit is down (creating a much higher drop).

That said, in my own venue we have a 4 foot stage extension built of standard LiteDeck which has 6 x 1 timber bolted to the front edge, with 2 or 3 inches above the stage level. This serves to a) provide a simple support for the velcro'd stage front valances and b) mask most of the pyro/floor speakers/plate mics that sit there regularly.

A local venue has a three meter drop from orchestra pit to stage, and we now have a couple of pull-out red fabric strip things across the prosc (like the things used for queue control on chrome poles), and a dimmable LED strip of blue lights across the front that are on 24/7. And a grid-like cover over the orchestra pit. Belt, and braces. The orchestra can function quite happily below the grid and their audio escapes.

........we now have a couple of pull-out red fabric strip things across the prosc (like the things used for queue control on chrome poles),...........

<coughs> Tensa-Barriers... :D :D

Looking at specs for handrails guarding a drop, would a tensa barrier actually be up to scratch?

Yes it provides a visual indication of the drop, but it provides no actual real protection. Some venues I pass through use a rope or a chain, which might actually have enough strength to prevent a fall (though little will stop a MEWP being driven at a reasonable speed). Others seem to completely ignore the risk and do nothing, or have systems that crew don't use because it's too much like hard work.

I suppose a tensa barrier sat 1m back might provide sufficient protection - but you'd need a fairly sizeable stage to not need that space.

In my mind it would be easier to have the stage barriered as standard, removing them when needed, rather than barriering when needed. It would change the mindset around the risk.

Rubbish. Safety features don't stop idiots being idiots. They're there to help stop accidents. Perhaps in your world you'd like to take all of the insulation off all of the cables, as obviously without access to the live conductors we don't appreciate the risk...

Well to some extent I agree - in that if there is to be a barrier it ought to be up to the job, a tokenistic barrier increases the perception of safety but does not increase the actual real safety by the same margin.

Archived