Stripping paint from an old Patt 743

DanSteely

A colleague of mine was looking at doing the same to some green patt 123's. Concerned to the composition of the paint he did some research, and apparently the green paint contains both lead and arsenic - so you will want to be careful with any dust...

Having spent ages taking the paint off a 23 with stripper and a wheel, I'd se if you could get it soda blasted by a local place

There was a place on eBay offering blasting and polishing of 23's for around £60 which is good value to me, considering the time it took me to do one

I do up classic bikes as a hobby so am no stranger to this kind of work

743's are steel so a tank is a good idea

23's and 123's are alloy and will dissolve if immersed in caustic so make sure what stripper they use

I do up old motorbikes and the topic comes up quite often

I have all the gear to polish but taking time/effort into account, a pro can do a better job reasonably for the moneyConvenience doing it yourself, but it takes almost a day or two that can be better spent earning the cash to pay somebody.Unless you do it for the self satisfaction

Archived