Mounting mics in a marquee roof

Yorkie

Been thinking about mounting mics from a marquee roof- no trusses in the relevant positions else would use half couplers with 3/8" bolts, then boom arms. Next idea is to use Kader clamp with 3/8 bolt but the boom arms available aren't long enough. Can I get anywhere an adaptor to mount the vertical portion of this (http://produkte.k-m.de/en/Mic-stands/Floor-stands/260-Microphone-stand-black) into a kader clamp - basically an adaptor with an M10 or M12 male thread and a 7/8" (?) female thread?

For mics, would Manfrotto Superclamps work? They have bunch of spigot and thread types which would make finding an extension arm easier.

Or, how about suspending them? I've seen LDCs hung in their spider shock mounts by tie line, and pencil condensers hung from their XLR cables taped in a small loop so the mic isn't pointing straight down.

I might be wrong but you might have a hard time getting a superclamp on to a kader. IIR kaders knock on 15cm and a superclamp wont open that far/ will have VERY little grip if it does.

You could fashion a holder out of coat hanger wire ? and suspend from the XLR which I have done before

I might be wrong but you might have a hard time getting a superclamp on to a kader. IIR kaders knock on 15cm and a superclamp wont open that far/ will have VERY little grip if it does.

You could fashion a holder out of coat hanger wire ? and suspend from the XLR which I have done before

You are correct, you're unlikely to get a super clamp onto the main beam, you would still need a Kader clamp to attach the Manfrotto to, unless there are some smaller crossbeams you can use, which there quite often are.

(And everyone should own a super clamp with a magic arm because they are so useful for so many different things!)

Cheers,

Peter

Archived