Robe 1200 colourspot or mac 2000???

sjbvision

Well, I have been given the option of either 100 Mac 2000's for a job or 100 Robe 1200s. As the robes are a unit that I have never used can anyone offer advice on this unit, or give me there preference. The obvious on is the cost, but what experiences have people had with either unit?

Thanks

Have used the Robe 1200AT a few times and have been great to use. The movement is good, the gobos are pretty good and the optics are superb. A hell of allot cheaper than the Macs to buy so probally allot cheaper to hire aswell. For the price it's a great fixture, and wins over the 2k for me any day.

HTH

Jon

Hi everybody im new to the forum.

yes I think I think I agree with jon, I love the mac 2k. But after using the robe1200at on a few jobs, they win hands down.

the optics are superb and make them loads brighter than the mac.

I dont know about you jon but I find the zoom on them to be superb

the 1200at retails at about £6k, did somebody make a mistake!!!!

cos its a hell of a fixture for £6k.

im hoping to add some to my hire stock soon.

The mac is still good and is a standard, but I would check the Robe out.

I supose even if you go for the mac, it might be nice to have a look at the Robe just for future refrence.

cheers

Malc

MACs (2000) are damn nice but I have a few problems with them... haven't used Robe before but seem them and from what I hear the general opinion is that they are good, bright fixtures with just enough features and they look great on the rig. MAC 2000 has problems when you reset it by clearing the programmer (doesn't go back to its original stage only goes like halfway and stops... the light also 'thinks' sometimes which is a bit annoying...) but on the upside its fast and it is quite bright...

would maybe add that you get what you pay for I've had experience with robes in the past as well as macs and macs are easyer to maintain I've found robes to be a right pain in the ass to work on but I cant comment on the above fixture if you are going to be maintaining lights through the show not just replacing them then check out how easy things are to get to

I would go for Robe everytime.

When I spec shows I now always ask for Robe fixtures. They have never let me down. As for maintaining them I find them easier than Macs. But I guess it depends what your used to. But to be fair, the reasons most people know how macs come apart is because they always need to be fixed.

Wether people like it or not, Macs are starting to show their age.

If you need a nice wash light though I still go back to VL5's. I think their colour mixing is brilliant. Arc or tungstan. They're the best washes.

If you need anymore help Please ask me as I work closey with Robe now as they Sponsor the current theatre I now work for.

Jon

I've found robes to be a right pain in the ass to work on but I cant comment on the above fixture if you are going to be maintaining lights through the show not just replacing them then check out how easy things are to get to

I have find all the Robe products in the past to be very good to service, its keen to note that I havent had to service as many Robe products than I have martin.

the only gripe I have is the spot250xt you have to take the casing off to change a lamp which is a bit of a faff when its in mid air. saying that its not that often you have to change a lamp so really its not that much of a pain.

TOTP in germany have just made the transition to Robe fixtures. Using both the spot and wash 1200at, along with 575spots and mixes.

take a look here it may just throw your descision Robe news

cheers

Malc

If it's a UK event and the gear is from the Uk then I know where they are coming from and I would say go for the Robe's not just because they are a better unit but because these would be only a few months old!!!

I know it's a bit wrong to make that analogy but new fixtures always seem to be that bit better than old ones even if they have been to Martin for servicing.

Nothing is as good as that just out of the box clean with a new lamp!!!!

Slightly OT, but reading Total Production today it seems like loads of people are going Robe. TOTP Germany, Natasha Bedingfield and loads more are going Robe as our LD's buying their own kit. There were a lot more articles with people using Robe fixtures over the last few issues than there have been of ones about Macs, VL's, Studio Spots etc.

Sam

PS- How do you pronounce it I know some people who say it like Robey and Some people who say Robe, personally I say Robe.

Back on topic. I'd go go for the Robe. Having seen some pics of shows of shows using the colourspot fixtures I'd be more then happy to use Robe products.

I like macs especially the newer range I.e the mac 250 entours and mac 550s

however if you have the option of using something new then go for it.

Archived