Truss Angled Piece

peza2010

Hi all.

I imagine this will be a quick one.

I am looking at my options for an angled connector piece.

I am looking to build what is essentially 3 parts of a truss circle rigged vertically (leaving the "bottom" missing) this would then connect to a horizontal piece either side, and then down to a large baseplate (the circle would be rigged on motors from two points on the top - with the base plates being there to steady the bottom portion, and not the only thing holding the circle up!) very similar to the omega symbol.

my question relates to connecting from the angle created by the circle, to the horizontal.

I already know of variable hinge corners but I'm wondering if fixed angle pieces exist to achieve the correct angle?

picture attached for clarification.

http://i63.tinypic.com/2v8fwoy.png

I'd have thought the answer depends on how big your circle is, and where exactly the 'gap' falls within it...In other words a whopping massive variable that is the angle that could be anything between umm...er... :wacko:... I'd have thought that the hinged joint might be the best bet, but surely this wouldn't neccessarily match the curvature of the circle joint?

The circle truss will be 5m radius.

A slightly "wonky" angle between the circle and the horizontal is no big deal in the grand scheme of things.

I cant imagine this hasnt been done before, so I will make a few phone calls at some point.

This is very early show planning so there is no huge rush - I just want to confirm the way to achieve it before it gets pitched.

No maths required! really, just a bit of geometry!

The angle that your truss circle starts at is half the angle of the bit you're removing.

In this case you are removing 90o, so need a 45o (internal) angle.

If you were to only remove 60o of the circle you'd get a 30o join at the floor.

Remove all 360o of the circle and you require 180o corners, which are, of course, very easy to obtain, though not a very interesting shape!

Interesting truss layout. Is it for a resistor manufacturer? ;)

Unfortunatly not!

The missing portion of the circle is to allow presenters to enter through it onto stage.

The horizontal pieces is to add a little interest and make it not just look like a circle with a missing piece, and allows me to add some stability to the bottom section.

The drawing is missing a large amount of the rest of the truss layout.

I'll preface this with I have very litle experience with truss so might be completely wrong.

Rather than use swivel couplers could you not use a 90 degree and a 45 at each end of the circle as that'll give you the 135 degrees that you actually want?

I presume this is something you're looking to purchase rather than hiring?

My first port of call in this situation would be speak to the truss manufacturer. Prolyte have certainly been very open to projects like this for us, I'd like to think that other manufacturers would be as receptive to this.

I presume this is something you're looking to purchase rather than hiring?

It would actually be a hire. Now I know the maths is okay I can actually hire all the bits I need from my local hire supplier.

Cheers, George

Archived