19" Rack Planning software

pete10uk

Evening all

I'm after some reasonably priced software for a minimum requirement of virtually populating a 19" rack to help with planning, with the ability to print / PDF from it. I know there are some pretty heavy programs out there which will do just about anything but at a heavy price as well.

The main thing it must be Mac comparable or on iOS.

Just after something to populate a rack with drag and drop for proposal preparation and possibly to be able to pop cabling on there as well for illustration purposes. I'd just like something which looks better than an excel or word knock up.

I did think they'd be an app for that but can't see one!

Any pointers appreciated.

Cheers

https://www.draw.io/

browser based Visio clone , racks and components are under More Shapes > Networking. Relabel as appropriate ;-)

Thanks for this, Looks pretty reasonable for free and a good place to start, but it only seems to let me populate from the top and I need an 8u piece of equipment which doesn’t seem to exist.

I'll give it a bit or a trial. Thanks

For this kind of thing I use omnigraffle on Mac, it isn't a dedicated 19" drawing package but it is a drawing package with all the proper grid snapping / dimensions / line snapping to custom points that you'd need.

Can't remember the exact price point but it isn't groundbreaking

draw.io and commercial gliffy.com are browser based, platform independent

Thanks for your input. I've had a quick look at gliffy.com, again it seems pretty straight forward to use and this lets you select where you populate and the u size which is nice, but it won't let me edit the label, just gives an option hide it. I can always add text but if I'm dragging and dropping things could get messy.

A nice simple option to consider.

Cheers

draw.io and commercial gliffy.com are browser based, platform independent

Thanks for your input. I've had a quick look at gliffy.com, again it seems pretty straight forward to use and this lets you select where you populate and the u size which is nice, but it won't let me edit the label, just gives an option hide it. I can always add text but if I'm dragging and dropping things could get messy.

A nice simple option to consider.

Cheers

A Quick update. I've now figured out how to change the label by double clicking the actual equipment not the label. This seems a quick solution to my immediate requirement. Thanks

Archived