Portable PA system with wireless mics

Malcolm Gordon

I’m trying to advise a civic society on PA kit for their meetings, which take place in a 60-seat church hall where they have limited set-up time. At present they have an old TOA TA-312E mixer amp, which has alternative 100V and 4-16ohm outputs. There are two mic inputs and 1 aux input.

They need 3 mics in total, one for the chairman, one for the speaker and a roving audience mic. They have been achieving this with a wired Shure mic into one input and a Prosound 2-channel wireless mic into the other. The output is to two Mission 8ohm Hifi speakers connected in parallel.

The Maplin Prosound system is proving unreliable and the TOA amplifier is limited in its controls, so I am trying to suggest something better, at minimum cost of course.

I am proposing to suggest a 4-channel portable mixer amp, with 1 wired mic and 2 wireless mics. Am I right in assuming that no-one would give house room to a 2-channel wireless mic system, i.e. a twin receiver in a single case? I am thinking that the best/cheapest option would be two Trantec S4.4 systems side by side or stacked (does this cause problems?). They have been hoping for something integrated or permanently linked, to save set-up time, so I don’t know if it feasible to put the mixer/amp and receivers into a flight case with permanent connections.

The users are not very technically competent.

Any suggestions please?

Am I right in assuming that no-one would give house room to a 2-channel wireless mic system, i.e. a twin receiver in a single case?

I'd definitely give house room to a Sennheiser 2000 series dual receiver and even more so to the 8 channel mainframes :) However those are not at the end of the spectrum you are talking about I feel.

At the correct end of the price spectrum I don't seen any reason why a product such as:

http://www.shure.co.uk/products/wireless_systems/pg-wireless-dual-vocal-set

should be discounted. Obvious problem with that is that Shure have intentionally not made it in a rack mountable case. There is no problem with rack mounting two receivers side by side or on top of each other. You just want to ensure that the antenna are in free air and not buried inside a rack. This usually means you don't want something with built in non-detachable antenna.

Unfortunately it doesn't sound like you can afford it but an automixer + amplifier would be less hassle as all the user would have to do is connect the speakers and turn on the rack. With a mixeramp you might need to adjust things.

With the requirement for chairman, speaker and an audience mic why do you need two wireless mics? surely the chair and the speaker can be accommodated with wired mics? Anything that reduces the need for wireless is going to reduce costs and increase reliability and user friendliness. I'd have thought something like a Yamaha StagePass system with two wired mics and one half decent wireless would be the most economical and foolproof solution (and it would be a big upgrade over what they have). I'd also question the need for an audience mic in a relatively small room like that (TBH, given the mic technique of 85% of speakers I'd be wondering if there is any advantage in having a PA at all.......)

Thank you for your replies.

At the correct end of the price spectrum I don't seen any reason why a product such as:

http://www.shure.co.uk/products/wireless_systems/pg-wireless-dual-vocal-set

should be discounted.

Possibly the price may still be a drawback, and I haven't seen reference as to whether it's available in Channel 70 and with diversity, which I think may be necessary for the audience mic which is being passed between questioners.

With the requirement for chairman, speaker and an audience mic why do you need two wireless mics? surely the chair and the speaker can be accommodated with wired mics? Anything that reduces the need for wireless is going to reduce costs and increase reliability and user friendliness. I'd have thought something like a Yamaha StagePass system with two wired mics and one half decent wireless would be the most economical and foolproof solution (and it would be a big upgrade over what they have). I'd also question the need for an audience mic in a relatively small room like that (TBH, given the mic technique of 85% of speakers I'd be wondering if there is any advantage in having a PA at all.......)

Originally the two wireless mics were their way of getting three mics into two inputs. The wired mic is for the chairman, a handheld wireless for the audience and a wireless lavalier for the speaker, who tends to work with a projector as well and they like to move about I am told. Although I have seen the hall, unfortunately for a number of reasons I haven't been able to attend a meeting. I have tried to push them to one wireless and two wired mics; in the past a lavalier mic could be a fairly substantial mic on a neckcord with a long lead, but these don't seem to be readily available now. Is a Trantec S4.4 half-decent?

As to whether mics are required at all, the hall is 15m long x 5m wide with a carpeted floor. A combination of quiet speakers and elderly ears leads to audibility problems at the back, or vice versa with audience questions being heard at the front.

Thank you for pointing me at the StagePas; the 300 would have been adequate but seems to have been discontinued, but the i400 would be worth a look, if I can persuade them to give up their existing hifi speakers, which would be superfluous.

Possibly the price may still be a drawback, and I haven't seen reference as to whether it's available in Channel 70 and with diversity, which I think may be necessary for the audience mic which is being passed between questioners.

T11 version covers channel 70 & it says "diversity" on that page. Though Shure do seem to have got themselves in a muddle between audio/radio frequencies :rolleyes:

But if you want one handheld & one belt-pack, that's more tricky to find off the shelf....

Archived