Suggestions on new LED Wash

Crash_Override

12 members have voted

1. 1. Which do you prefer?

Suggestions needed, on what to get.

We are thinking of changing some of the conventional backlights to LED moving heads. Current backlight (downlight) are ADB C201 PC and F201 Fresnel fixtures.

I have been looking at following moving heads:

Robe Robin 800 LED Wash

Robe Robin 1000 LED Beam

Clay Paky A.Leda Wash K20

Clay Paky A.Leda Wash K20 CC

Clay Paky A.Leda B-EYE K20

Clay Paky A.Leda B-EYE K20 CC

From Clay Paky I think we can eliminate Clay Paky A.Leda B-EYE K20 and Clay Paky A.Leda Wash K20 because of the price.

What would you choose from the list?

This is impossible to answer unless we know what you will use them for.

It is hard to imagine why you would consider replacing an ADB fresnel with a B-eye?? The effect is somewhat different to say the least.

Mostly for general warm/cold wash. We do drama ( I hope I got it right), we don't to musicals or concerts.

Main reason of looking at LED moving heads is to speed up the focusing and have more colors when needed.

The Robe Robin 600 is a gorgeous LED moving wash, with a rotating beamshaper thing. They are quite popular in theatres :-)

Do you mean Robin 800?

Robin 600 doesn't have beamshaper as far as I can read on Robe site. Here are the Robin 600's most popular things to use in theatres but I think 800 is better because its has more power?

The Robe Robin 600 is a gorgeous LED moving wash, with a rotating beamshaper thing. They are quite popular in theatres :-)

Do you mean Robin 800?

Robin 600 doesn't have beamshaper as far as I can read on Robe site. Here are the Robin 600's most popular things to use in theatres but I think 800 is better because its has more power?

I've used Robin 600's in theatre work quite a lot. Good colours, but no beam shaper and the beam goes quite hard edged and obviously round the bigger the zoom goes. If you are replacing conventional fresnels then there is probably going to be a compromise between the convenience of remote positioning and the quality of beamshaping . If you want true "barndoor" type shaping from an LED mover then you will need something like the Robe DLF4 wash, which has internal barndoor shutters. In fact these will give you better beam shaping ability than a conventional 4 leaf barn door as the shutters don't interfere with each other. However, these are pretty expensive and are only RGBW.

If you are willing to forego the remote focussing requirement then the ETC source 4 lustre + with the fresnel adaptor and barn doors will give you virtually any colour you will ever need from the 7 colour LEDs. A cheaper option would be the Colour Source spot with the same fresnel adaptor. They will give you a vast range of colours, although possibly a bit lacking in the deep blue range.

I have used Robin 600 also. When you zoom in to 15' degrees then the massive halo it generates is bad. I don't know if 800 is any better but it has tighter zoom, starting from 8.

I looked at the DLF4 Wash but the life expectancy of the LED is shorter. Robin 800 has 60k Hours and DLF4 has 20k Horus.

I have used the Robin 600 a lot and its a very nice reliable unit with good colours, and I do not often say that about LED fixtures. The tungsten colour mode is - acceptable if not brilliant - its a bit too pink, and the dimmer emulation macro is nice as well.

However I will also say that it has a very rowdy beam. Wide open it is a big fat wash, but as soon as you try to narrow it the beam control becomes very ragged, and you will get a hot spot with halo edge. Even at 50% spot its very patchy. For rock shows etc its fine - for theatre I wouldnt have it.

In fact I would not consider anything that did not have beam shaping facility. The DLF wash looks good in this respect although I have not used one personally. Forget about the LED lifespan, thats not what you are buying it for.

I do not know of any other LED unit that has this facility. Clay Paky K20 is a great unit with better beam control, but no shaping. Sadly most manufacturers are concentrating more on stuff with eye candy effects that looks good in arrays on XFactor type shows. Not actually making good theatrical instruments. But its where the money is allright. I am surprised that VariLite or Martin do not have anything comparable.

It is hard to imagine why you would consider replacing an ADB fresnel with a B-eye?? The effect is somewhat different to say the least.

This is not necessarily true, people forget what a brilliant wash light the B-eye is. I have sold many into theatrical applications, the colour temperature controls give you a very useful way of dialling in colour to match your rig. Unlike some LED washes there is no hole in the middle of the beam when you zoom it wide so you get a lovely even wash. The b-eye is one of the least "flarey" LED wash lights I have seen without the need for a top hat. The added advantage is the effects engine and the lens rotation, I often show them with the lens static but off centre, with the correct effect running under a wash you can create a very nice soft animated beam effect

I'd also suggest the OP get in touch with his local Clay Paky Dealer. The price of the B-eye here in the UK is comparable to the other units listed.

This is not necessarily true, people forget what a brilliant wash light the B-eye is. I have sold many into theatrical applications, the colour temperature controls give you a very useful way of dialling in colour to match your rig. Unlike some LED washes there is no hole in the middle of the beam when you zoom it wide so you get a lovely even wash. The b-eye is one of the least "flarey" LED wash lights I have seen without the need for a top hat. The added advantage is the effects engine and the lens rotation, I often show them with the lens static but off centre, with the correct effect running under a wash you can create a very nice soft animated beam effect

I'd also suggest the OP get in touch with his local Clay Paky Dealer. The price of the B-eye here in the UK is comparable to the other units listed.

That's interesting to know, I've only had the pleasure of using some B-eyes once and it was rock'n'roll so it was all about the eye candy effects (of which there are a great variety), but I thought the price was about £12K which is well above other LED washes - which you would expect for the number of features. I guess I was thinking that you would be paying extra for features you didn't need in theatre work.

That's interesting to know, I've only had the pleasure of using some B-eyes once and it was rock'n'roll so it was all about the eye candy effects (of which there are a great variety), but I thought the price was about £12K which is well above other LED washes - which you would expect for the number of features. I guess I was thinking that you would be paying extra for features you didn't need in theatre work.

The rough street price for a B-eye K20 is about £5,500, of course if you'd like a more accurate price please feel free to give me a call.

If you are looking for a uniform wash,, take a look at the Wonder D from DTS, the unit has to separate zoom zones , a 3.5- 52 deg in the middle, and an 8-55 deg on the outer ring, giving the ability to zoom in or out the hot spot depending on the look you require, it also gives some great ariel effects too.

for a venue, you also get the peace of mind of a 3 year warranty too.

Archived