Theatre playback pc

nikkicallaghan

this is my local theatre who claim the sound playback pc needs to be connected to the web all the time as in their words so sound effects can be downloaded. I've said from my point of view I would keep it off the web and sterile which I think would cause them less problems during shows. It's running win 7 with multiplay which I find pretty stable but they've had at least 2 total system crashes during shows. The guy who manages it claimed it was multiplay and went on to say multiplay is no good for sound. I personally have never had a multiplay crash so surely something is going wrong. The main question though is do you prefer your playback pc to be not connected to the web or is that not an issue

1449263999[/url]' post='531764']

The general opinion seems to be to keep any "live" show computers completely offline - you run the risks of unexpected updates, not to mention malware.

This is what I've said but our resident know it all says I don't understand things. Why do I keep meeting this sort of person

I'd never want a live sound PC online! I turn off the wireless and don't even have any anti-virus running.

Can't comment on Multiplay as we use SCS which has been faultless for 8 years.

Steve

I'd never want a live sound PC online! I turn off the wireless and don't even have any anti-virus running.

Can't comment on Multiplay as we use SCS which has been faultless for 8 years.

Steve

On the other hand, my live PB computer is my only computer, and it's on the web a lot (like now for instance). It is often on the web during rehearsals where I sit around a lot. I use QLab and iTunes for playback. In addition to being on the web during rehearsals, it may also have Vectorworks, Smaart, Filemaker, Excel, email, calendar app, and Windows running IAS intermod software open at once. I have not had any web related issues that I can remember, and I have been running this way a long time.

If it makes you nervous it is easy to turn stuff off for show.

Mac

Why not download the things you need? I don't get it. In terms of time and work, it amounts to the same, more or less, but with less stress.

Among our students, it is similar: hardly anyone brings their music or FX-files on a stick (let alone CD), it's all in the Clouds... Bad habit, I think. Just when you need the stuff, the WiFi is down (according to Murphy).

Maybe ask your "guy who manages it" to read this thread. http://www.blue-room.org.uk/public/style_emoticons/default/dry.gif

Norbert

Online during a show? Never, ever.

Have the ability to get online manually? This can be useful.

FYI, I tend to take my own laptop in for running music and SFX--I keep it scrupulously clean of all the usual rubbing and only run software related to the jobs I do...audio recording, editing and playback, some video editing, CD ripping, that sort of thing. I also carry my own audio interface with balanced outs for plugging into whatever mixer I'm using (I have a box of "just in case" connectors and adaptors).

Anyway, said laptop can go online, particularly on the firewall-protected network at my home studio. I use this for downloading software updates, validating my DAW every 90 days (it's one of the ones that's gone subscription instead of purchase) and, yes, downloading sound effects.

However, at the theatre, the laptop is definitely offline with all network functions and anti virus shut down. Not had a problem yet.

When I paid my mortgage by playing music off a (P2 200 ! ) laptop,

1/ it was a clean install OS

2/ it never went on line

3/ it had no anti malware

4/ downloading and ripping was done in another computer.

5/ anything going into it (usb stick) was malware scanned first.

It outlasted my need for it without failing.

Most malware comes by wire -cut it!

Remember that some nerd has a bluetooth and wireless enabled device within metres of you and time to search all your files.

Also once the show relies on your laptop it's no longer yours it is part of the show- one mess up and the show could graunch to a halt -even think of personal liability!

In short, keep off line!

If you need to be online for other reasons (during a show -why?) then get another computer.

You can turn off wifi and bluetooth...and should except when you need to use them.

I agree about clean installs etc. but more and more software requires you to be online at least sometimes...done carefully and systematically you can go online (when NOT doing a show) with great safety. Malware and viruses don't come from the Avid or SCS or Multiplay site...or even freesound.org. They come from people messing around with games and unknown links in Facebook, etc. When you want to do a show, physically turn off Wifi (and Bluetooth though that should never been on...I don't even have it installed. Shut down antivirus. Shut down any and all power savers, etc. etc.

But, with a clean machine and a short list of sites you have to use and which are safe...you CAN go online.

Archived