Delay Stacks going wireless

preciseaudioltd

I was looking at an event brief today and the client requires a small delay stack approx 350m away from the main stage. The cabling run through the city centre location would be horrific so just wandering if anybody has experience good or bad with wireless solutions and if so what they used.

Cheers in advance :)

No real experience, but, with speaker level audio one pair carries all, with anything else power and signal both have to get to the delay tower. Even if you send wireless audio where are you going to get the power from and site the amps. Beware latency on digital lines.

A bit of a bodge in the professional world but I've had great performance from a CCTV solution called videomitter. 350m LOS no issue stall and Rick solid with 700 people in the audience with all the mobile equipment you would expect.

Only thing is to stay the right side of the licence you have to transmit video with it as well or this is what I'm lead to believe.

Lo cost at around £150 per channel.

I've mentioned it on here before in a post so could perhaps do a search.

Has worked well for me.

Might be worth checking out the Neutrik Xirium system. It can supposedly send 48k/24-bit over 500m point-to-point using the 5GHz band, using their most directional antennae.

I have to say, I used it on a job last week and struggled to get it to do ~150m but I think that was due to using a dipole on the receiver instead of the directional antenna. Need to experiment with it a bit more this week once it's back in the warehouse, as I'm fairly confident that when set up correctly it should be able to chuck a few hundred metres no problem.

Otherwise you might be looking at hiring a 1W link (and licence) from somewhere like Handheld Audio.

"...you have to transmit video with it..."

The video transmitters were used in pirate radio to hide the signal route from studio the transmitter so the need to actually send video comes from pirate radio checking.

Fixed latency can be used but any variable latency will be horrid.

Cheers sounds like a good solution will take a look :)

A bit of a bodge in the professional world but I've had great performance from a CCTV solution called videomitter. 350m LOS no issue stall and Rick solid with 700 people in the audience with all the mobile equipment you would expect.

Only thing is to stay the right side of the licence you have to transmit video with it as well or this is what I'm lead to believe.

Has worked well for me.

Has worked well for me.

How did it sound?

That's the only caveat, I was using a 100v remote point powered from a cheap 12v amp, the rx is also 12v so for my use it was perfect as it ran all day and wasn't really sound critical.

It sounded great for what it was but would expect that the sound itself isn't perfect.

I used a viddomitter on a x-mass lights switch on to relay video and audio to a remote led screen and pa a few streets away from the main event, we did have line of site and got 300m without any issues and it sounded fine.

Archived