Clearcom question

Cheeseweasel

Hello,

Currently attempting to get a new Clearcom Freespeak basestation (wireless system) talking to a Helix (wired system) over the 4-wire connection. The manual (here) on p.93 says to connect the two using a '4W crossover cable'. Looking at the pinouts given on that page, the cable is neither a standard ethernet cable nor a crossover cable. Can anyone please tell me what I actually need?

Thanks

Ah, another case of a really good design process. Been there and done it more times than I care to remember!

Manager: "Here's a good connector to use. It's got eight pins."

Engineer: "Oh yes, I'll talk to the designer of the other end and we'll come to an agreement over which pins to use."

Manager: "No, you are not allowed to communicate with them as they are in another department and I am king here. I am totally non-technical so I'll just pick some numbers."

Engineer: "Right you are."

Just looks like a documentation error rather than a design problem.

It would be nice to think that but, even with the documentation as pointed to by Cheeseweasel, it's still not possible to use either off-the-shelf Type A or Type B RJ45 patch cords and requires something homemade!

It would be nice to think that but, even with the documentation as pointed to by Cheeseweasel, it's still not possible to use either off-the-shelf Type A or Type B RJ45 patch cords and requires something homemade!

Isn't it just a normal crossover cable?

linky

Isn't it just a normal crossover cable?

linky

Nope. A standard Type B crossover cable looks like this:

http://www.warehousecables.com/prodphotos/568B-crossover-diagram.jpg

Yep, it's just unfortunate they decided to use the term 'crossover cable' in their documentation, as to many people familiar with IT it has a very specific meaning.

To be fair the tech support guy was very good - he didn't know the answer straight away but phoned me back ten minutes later once he'd looked it up, and gave me the link to that diagram.

• 11 months later...

Archived