Serial to XLR cable

ekul1978

Does anyone have a wiring diagram or can point me in the right direction to make a serial to XLR cable. Want to try one to update the software on my Robe 700's, I don't have access to a Runit box but have been told a cable like this will work. Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks Nid - do I have to use a male and female XLR like its stated or can I just wire up the one side?

I do not think that link is telling you the right thing for a Robe programming cable, they are talking about something else.

As far as I know the Robe cable has some electronics in it to convert the RS232 to RS485, it's not just a cable.

Thanks Nid - do I have to use a male and female XLR like its stated or can I just wire up the one side?

The XLR male and female are there to enable extension via a standard mic line.

I also use this setup to remotely control my DBX Driverack.

As to the compatibility of this to your Robe fixture, maybe you should check in Robe's users forum...

:)

Ahhh ok timsabre I was just told by HPSS that all they use to update is a serial to XLR cable that they made up with components from CPC etc. Might try to see if they can point me in the right direction too.

Um well I might be wrong then. What you actually want is better described as an RS232 to DMX cable, Robe call it "RS232 to DMX flashing cable". But I can't find any diagrams of how to make one anywhere, it would be a useful thing to know...

I might try the Robe forum then or ask Stuart at Robe if he has the wiring diagram, should really have asked him when I was there last week on the training course but thought just using an Ethernet cable would work (turns out it does but only on the newer Robin fixtures)

Archived