Skans!

robocow

If you want to feed your craving for scans, then how about one of these beasts? Huge, and massively over-engineered when compared to 'modern' scanners.

I used to have a set of 6 NAT1200s, but mine were the models with CYM colour mixing, 2 gobo wheels, effects wheel, motorised zoom and focus, etc. They also had a separate ballast, which meant they took up a lot of hanging space. They also weighed in at 75kg each, including the ballast!! The mirror was almost the size of a dinner plate, and its movement was unbelievably smooth thanks to the gear reduction on both pan and tilt. The movement was easily as good as any moving head, and light years ahead of most scanners. In the end they were far too large for our venue, so I sold them for not much money.

I think Clay Paky are stretching things a bit when they say their new scanner 'creates an absolutely original swirling effect'. Clearly they've forgotten about the Coemar TX360.

:)

Ha! We used to have a couple of the NAT 360 heads. They were bonkers things to operate. But much fun.

Did you see Clay Paky's new Spheriscan at Prolight & Sound?

http://www.claypaky....scanner_is_back

http://www.claypaky....ucts/spheriscan

I didn't go to prolight - and no I hadn't seen those.

They don't look the full ticket tho - they'd look like expensive beacons, ** laughs out loud **. Anyone doing blues brothers...?

This thread reminded me of the first scan I ever saw when I was at school in 1989 the Intellabeam made by High End. (yes I'm quite old)

You can't beat the speed of a scanner and with less moving parts than a nodding bucket they certainly did have their place.

The video below is a good chuckle, and a great song by weird al yankovic used as BGM!

Dicky #nostalgia #scansforever

If you want to feed your craving for scans, then how about one of these beasts? Huge, and massively over-engineered when compared to 'modern' scanners.

I used to have a set of 6 NAT1200s, but mine were the models with CYM colour mixing, 2 gobo wheels, effects wheel, motorised zoom and focus, etc. They also had a separate ballast, which meant they took up a lot of hanging space. They also weighed in at 75kg each, including the ballast!! The mirror was almost the size of a dinner plate, and its movement was unbelievably smooth thanks to the gear reduction on both pan and tilt. The movement was easily as good as any moving head, and light years ahead of most scanners. In the end they were far too large for our venue, so I sold them for not much money.

I think Clay Paky are stretching things a bit when they say their new scanner 'creates an absolutely original swirling effect'. Clearly they've forgotten about the Coemar TX360.

:)

I think they are attempting to cling on to the fact that it is not the same type of classic scanner mirror. Very cheeky on CP's behalf I must say, but amusing none the less...

It never ceases me how fast stepper motors can move and with accuracy

I'd hope it doesn't cease you, that would be bad.

But it's not that surprising if you think about the mechanics of how stepper motors work, there is high torque available.

The tricky thing when writing firmware for stepper motors is deciding how close to go to the point where it drops steps and loses position. Age and heat can degrade the motor so something that works on a new motor might start failing later.

I have to say that the Chauvet Intimidator 3 scanner is one of the brightest things I have ever seen for a small compact scanner. It is packed full of features including focus and indexing. But the 90 watt led is so bright you definitely can not stare into the beam. And for the price $600 they represent good value for money.

Awwwww. I remember all the Intellebeams on the original Starlight Express LX rig in the West End, all going to the Intellebeam controllers fired from the lighting desk - and then when the show closed for a while to reveal The 'New' Starlight Express complete with ( I think ) Mac 500's instead of the scans.

1443547984[/url]' post='528378']

Awwwww. I remember all the Intellebeams on the original Starlight Express LX rig in the West End, all going to the Intellebeam controllers fired from the lighting desk - and then when the show closed for a while to reveal The 'New' Starlight Express complete with ( I think ) Mac 500's instead of the scans.

Was that pre DMX, The original starlight express rig?

Her indoors remembers that show for the constant stream of sprained and broken ankles she had to deal with at the old Westminster A&E. Maybe the lights were blinding the skaters? Who knows but she still shivers thinking about it.

We used to have four of the beasts that gyro linked to and after one session I handed them over to the juniors to play around with. Great lights but far too fiddly and time consuming to programme in the early days. I remember when the High End boys were at a loose end at PLASA and hung a long line of miniscans on our back truss. They spent the whole show playing with them and punters were gob-smacked at what they could do. They just didn't see the hours and hours that went into setting up and programming but they did look amazing. High End had only 6 big scans on their huge stand with EPS globe and pyramid shapes being projected on and they flew in a US guy to programme/design an absolutely stunning display so the UK crew were just left hanging until they found us.

Archived