Fairy light cable

Jamtastic3

Hi, just a quick question here.

Can I spray paint fairy light cable with white spray piant for a white room? I can never seem to find the white cabled stuff (especially now since its April) so I'm thinking along the cheap route of spraying the black cable white.

Cheers

No No No. Spray paint on cables makes them brittle which can, at best, cause cracks in the insulation, and at worst, cause it to break down completely. Think about wrapping it with PVC tape, or perhaps something else along those lines.

Guest lightnix

Peter is right. There are all sorts of nasty solvents in spray paint, which can seriously degrade some kinds of cable insulation, especially the cheapo stuff they use on fairy lights.

What I've done in the past is stick a short strip of PVC tape on one side of the cable between each bulb, then stick another short strip on the other side, so that the sticky sides of each strip stick to each other. Smooth them down so that they stick right up to the cable, then trim some of the surplus off with scissors or a Stanley knife.

It's time consuming, but much less dangerous and a neat result can be obtained with a little care and attention.

Hi, just a quick question here.

Can I spray paint fairy light cable with white spray piant for a white room? I can never seem to find the white cabled stuff (especially now since its April) so I'm thinking along the cheap route of spraying the black cable white.

Cheers

Paint will either flake or key so well, it melts the insulation.

Edinburgh has 2 year round Christmas shops, Canongate and Victoria Street might be worth trying, or bit of online shopping, google is your friend

http://www.christmastimeuk.com/browse.php?..._id=2&subcat=10

Not sure what fairy cable is, can someone please explain?

On the other hand, I can attest to normal spray paint not sticking well to cable. But especially if cheap thermoset or thermoplastic cable, a spray paint from Kraylon or RustOleum designed for plastic should have good results on plastic cable or other types of cable. Otherwise you might try dye - though that could have it's own problems. My cable suppliers will dye my cables for me if I have time and budget. Perhaps in asking if it's possible for your supplier to do so, it might be the best option.

Guest lightnix

Just had another thought: how about spiral wrap? RS Components do it in white, in lengths of 30m and diameters from 1/8" up to 1".

Click here to view the product. I reckon that could be what you're after, it probably won't work out much dearer than spray paint, you won't have to wait for it to dry and will be a lot less messy :D

Just had another thought: how about spiral wrap? RS Components do it in white, in lengths of 30m and diameters from 1/8" up to 1".

Click here to view the product. I reckon that could be what you're after, it probably won't work out much dearer than spray paint, you won't have to wait for it to dry and will be a lot less messy :D

Thanks to RS's dynamic website, you will need to go to RS and enter 3430050 in the search box.

PN

Guest lightnix
Thanks to RS's dynamic website, you will need to go to RS and enter 3430050 in the search box.

Thanks, peter - the curse of modern technology strikes again :D

Alternatively, search RS for spiral wrap. The product I was referring to is called "UV Stabilised Polyethylene Spiral Binding" and should be on the first page of results, top right.

Apologies for the confusion :shaun:

Archived