fake wall

Prodman22

Hi

We will be putting on a production where the director has indicated that she wants a boulder dash wall about 3m in height by about 3.5m wide where towards the end of the play an actor knocks down the wall from the rear and comes crashing through. The wall has to collapse easily every night and be rebuilt every day and also has to be safe but at the same time looking either like a dry-stone wall or a brick wall.

I'm not sure where to begin here, I work in a school so we have limited budget. I'm thinking Styrofoam and making bricks ?

I built this effect for Dames At Sea. We used copy paper boxes (the ones that hold 5 reams). After a bit of trial and error, we found that using the same brand was essential, as was alternating the boxes with the lids up and down. Finally, we glued some of the boxes into giant tetris shapes so that we had a mix of sizes. Make sure you label everything, and you can rebuild very quickly.

Ian

Forgot to add - we built a simple wooden frame to hold the boxes. The frame very slightly too small so that the wall was held in compression. When the actor pushed the wall, it "exploded" outwards rather than just toppling like a tower of lego.

Archived