BS7909

Nick LX

Thinking of doing a BS7909 course as I've been asked to sign off on a few temporary event installations (nothing to bigger than 2x 125A/3ph gennies). I've declined doing it as I have no formal qualification or certification.

Does anyone know of any training providers near south west London?

What sort of background knowledge would be expected? On a few websites I've seen it's suggested background knowledge but not really expanded on that.

Cheers

This course seems to be the one to do at the moment... The pre required knowledge page is here.

However, I think it's fair to say that those in the electrical trades are suspicious of any standalone short course that makes you "competent" to sign off temporary systems.Similarly, we in the production industry are suspicious of electricians with no knowledge or experience of temporary power systems for live events. James Eade (and quite a few posters here) know both sides of the argument...

Dear Simon and OP

Mr.Eade is pretty clear about competency in the context of BS7909, as is the code itself. (Eade - Section 3:2:1, p26)

Section 5 of 7909 covers small/simple events up to 6kVA. Section 5:2 states:

"The person responsible for the small/simple temporary electrical system should have sufficient and suitable competence to manage the system involved. If the work is outside their known competence, they should state this and not accept the work".

A BS 7909 course certainly won't give you all the knowledge you need overnight - or over two days; however it will make you reflect on the knowledge you currently have.

KC

As a matter of interest, here's a link to the BBC H&S site : http://www.bbc.co.uk/safety/resources/aztopics/production-electrical-and-lighting.html

There is a huge gulf in the knowledge of most sparkies about creating a supply, Usually "the board" or the DNO or THEIR contractor did the work to create a three or five wire inlet connector box, complete with seals. The moment you go into events power this is the most critical bit, once the inlet protection is installed then the temp installation of premade and pre tested components is simply done to the drawings.

No "wiring regs" course will teach you this but a 7909 course should introduce the subject well, then you just need the experience!

It is a course I am considering doing, been bashing around the edges of the scene one way and another for years, but actually having a bit formal course to identify my "Know what I don't know" areas would be somewhat helpful upon occasion.

Regards, Dan.

Archived