Multipair cable capacitance

LadislavKiprich

Hi,

I'm about to buy new multipair cable a I don't know which on to choose. First is foil screened cable with "standard" PVC jacket and capacitance of 40pF/100pF/m.

Second one has more flexible jacket, individual pairs have braided screen, but capacitance of 150/280pF/m. I want to have 75m long cable.

How much is the capacitance going to affect the sound, if at all? I have found some whitepaper on this, that it depends on source and input impedance,but it was more than 25 years old whitepaper and surely equipment design has changed a lot from those times...

Thank you.

Laws of physicas have not changed. Impedance and reactance calculations still work now the same way they did 25 years ago.

Thank you, but I'll try to ask in a little bit different way: Is better screening, more flexible jacket, individual pair jacketing going to balance in daily use the disatvange of higher capacitance of the cable?

...foil screened cable with "standard" PVC jacket...

Foil screened cable, no matter what the person selling it says, is not really meant for constant flexing. After a while the foil moves and you get incomplete screening. Foil screened cable is meant for permanent installations.

Is better screening, more flexible jacket, individual pair jacketing going to balance in daily use the disatvange of higher capacitance of the cable?

You're trading off apples and oranges. I wouldn't worry about the cable capacitance unless you are running high impedances or huge lengths. On a 100ft cable, the cable capacitance will make zero practical difference. However, as noted, crap mechanical construction will bite you every time.

...foil screened cable with "standard" PVC jacket...

Foil screened cable, no matter what the person selling it says, is not really meant for constant flexing. After a while the foil moves and you get incomplete screening. Foil screened cable is meant for permanent installations.

But none the less, an awful lot of multicores are foil screened. Personally I would be more concerned about its mechanical strength, no of strands of conductor within each cable, durability of outer sheath etc. I would maybe go with individually jacketed cores if suitable.

But none the less, an awful lot of multicores are foil screened.

Are they a bit more robust because the individual pairs are protected by being part of a bundle with an overall shield and jacket? I suspect kinking a multicore will do a lot less damage to the individual pairs within than doing the same thing to a 2 pair cable.

From my point of view, we've had some foil screen multicores that have been used for years, quite harshly, without any obvious problems. Mainly lower channel counts, typically 8 or 12 pair for sub multis on stage.

Thank you all for opinions, but I'm still not closer to decision. At least I narrowed my search to Canford FSM and HSJ, all other cables had some issues - price, construction...

So between these two, which one as a main FOH multi? I already got older FSM version, just much shorter cable and it's fine.

Weight should be a consideration...

HSJ4 9.5kg, HSJ8 18.9kg, HSJ24 50.1kg

FSM2 4.3kg, FSM4 6.8kg, FSM8 11.4kg, FSM12 16.5kg, FSM16 22.3kg, FSM24 32.7kg

Also, you need to think about what the termination will be. If you are using a multipin connector, the FSM may be a little easier to solder or crimp. It's possible to use FSJ as tails, but FSM would definitely need heatshrink or Pliosil. It could be argued that FSJ needs Pliosil too though!

I have used both (albeit an earlier version of FSJ) and the jacketed type was quite heavy to deploy. It seems like the construction may be a bit more manageable now.

Both are good cables but I suspect you will have to weigh up which features are more important to you!

Weight should be a consideration...

HSJ4 9.5kg, HSJ8 18.9kg, HSJ24 50.1kg

FSM2 4.3kg, FSM4 6.8kg, FSM8 11.4kg, FSM12 16.5kg, FSM16 22.3kg, FSM24 32.7kg

Also, you need to think about what the termination will be. If you are using a multipin connector, the FSM may be a little easier to solder or crimp. It's possible to use FSJ as tails, but FSM would definitely need heatshrink or Pliosil. It could be argued that FSJ needs Pliosil too though!

I have used both (albeit an earlier version of FSJ) and the jacketed type was quite heavy to deploy. It seems like the construction may be a bit more manageable now.

Both are good cables but I suspect you will have to weigh up which features are more important to you!

It's going to be multipin to multipin. Yes, the weight difference is quite considerable.

Archived