Cheap DMX desk not controlling dimmers

Impact Pete

I have for simple testing purposes of LED fixtures a 6 channel Transcension SDC-6 DMX controller, 1 master fader 6 channel faders,

Whilst powered using it's mains supply (rather than it's 9v battery supply) the desk would not operate my 6 channel dimmer rack, I tried it on all 3 and started to assume there was an internal DMX issue on the rack although the dimmers showed they were receiving DMX.

I tried the desk on a 6 channel LED fixture which worked fine so I got out my jester ml24 desk which worked the dimmers fine.

I asked the Importer manufacturer Prolight about it and there response is that 'Unfortunately it looks like this is not compatible with the other – this rarely happens but in this case it has'

I don't really understand this as for the last 15+ years I have used DMX I have never had this issue!

Anyone shed some light?

There are a few things which might be happening. The desk.might be outputting a very short DMX packet which the fixture just ignores. The break between frames or the mark after break might not be to spec - some fixtures will check this, others might not. You mentioned the external supply - are you implying that it works on the battery? If so then the ground reference for the DMX ouptput might be shorted to the +ve rail instead of the negtative or something similar. Time to stick a scope on it to see what's really coming out of the desk.

Dave

Sadly this has been an ongoing issue with the newer version of the SDC6 - there seems to be something awry with the DMX signal such that it will work with some products but not with dimmers that adhere to the DMX standard. We've tried new PIC's that ProLight have provided but to no avail - the desk works happily with Transcension products and some LED's but others it doesn't.

The original version of the SDC6 (also known as the Strand Sixer and I think Elation do a version) works quite happily with almost everything, we use a couple in hire for 6 lantern packs that use AlphaPacks or BetaPacks and they're rock solid.

Is this the same unit being discussed here?

http://www.thomann.de/gb/stairville_ddc6_dmx_controller.htm

I've been looking at this as a cheap way to control some disposable foggers on a festival site later this year - the cheaper the better. I do want to get a solution that actually works however!

Hmm, this looks similar to the other version of the SDC6 I found as well...

http://www.thomann.de/gb/cameo_control_6_dmx_contro_b_stock.htm

If anyone has one of these desks, and doesn't need it for a couple of weeks, I'm happy to stick my logic analyser on the output and see what's going on.

Likewise. I'm near Tadworth in Surrey or Brooklands most days. Would be very interested to have a look and record some waveforms.

Dave

I've got a Strand Sixer and access to a digital storage scope (end of the week), but it sounds like only newer units are affected - I bought mine second hand over a year ago. I'll try and get some waveforms anyway as a reference of what works!

My experience is that it works on LED PAR cans, but doesn't look at all nice, because the refresh rate is very low (~10 fps) and so fades become very jumpy unless they are very slow. But I've always got reliable control with no reliability issues. I expect you can't see this on tungsten loads because of the filament inertia.

Just put my sdc-6 on the scope - frame length is 1.2ms and it only sends out 6 channels. channels 1-5 are at 60usec intervals but Channel 6 is spaced 140usec after channel 5. Sync break is 120usec and the following mark is 40usec.

Frames are sent every 98ms, i.e. frame rate is 10.2Hz. Differential output is 4.4V when running from the mains PSU.

Hi All, I am currently looking into this issue.

Pete - can you bell me on the usual Prolight number tomorrow?

Hi Chris, I had asked Elaine at prolight she replied with 'Unfortunately it looks like this is not compatible with the other – this rarely happens but in this case it has'

So I assumed that was that

let me /us know if there is any additional news on it :rolleyes:

Is this the same unit being discussed here?

http://www.thomann.de/gb/stairville_ddc6_dmx_controller.htm

I've been looking at this as a cheap way to control some disposable foggers on a festival site later this year - the cheaper the better. I do want to get a solution that actually works however!

Hmm, this looks similar to the other version of the SDC6 I found as well...

http://www.thomann.de/gb/cameo_control_6_dmx_contro_b_stock.htm

I have been using some of these and the 12 way versions very satisfactorily - excellent for the money, and pretty sturdy and heavy too.

Archived