HDMI cable lengths

revbobuk

Folks - installing a projector which has HDMI input, rather than DVI (NEC PA series) and which will need an 18m cable run. That's marginal for HDMI, so I'm thinking HDMI over Cat-5 instead. Any problems likely? The projector spec mentions HD-BaseT connectivity - does that mean full-spec video over Cat-5, or just limited bandwidth static image display across a network - the manual is less than clear. I confess I don't like HDMI connectors for installation, as the connector seems flimsy to me. I'd rather it was DVI.

Folks - installing a projector which has HDMI input, rather than DVI (NEC PA series) and which will need an 18m cable run. That's marginal for HDMI, so I'm thinking HDMI over Cat-5 instead. Any problems likely? The projector spec mentions HD-BaseT connectivity - does that mean full-spec video over Cat-5, or just limited bandwidth static image display across a network - the manual is less than clear. I confess I don't like HDMI connectors for installation, as the connector seems flimsy to me. I'd rather it was DVI.

If the projector has an HDBaseT input, then all you need is an HDBaseT transmitter such as the Kramer TP-580T. We always recommend using shielded CAT 6 with solid cores and the shields soldered to the crimps or pre-terminated in the factory. This avoids any possible issues with electrical interference from the sort of motors that that you typically find in theatres for example. I understand your reluctance to use HDMI connectors rather than DVI, but modern HDMI cables such as Kramer's have locking mechanisms or tensioning mechanisms to prevent them falling out of a socket.

HDbaseT rocks!

It was on a Panny projector we hired recently and the HDBaseT transmitter was in the case so we gave it a go.

It brings the projector input ports via 1 cat5 cable to your production area - very cool.

revobuck – HDBT is full bandwidth HDMI.

There are two versions of HDBT – with/without 10/100 Ethernet and two max cable runs 100m and 70m.

The feature set of the Transmitter and Receiver will govern what 'features' you will have to play with.

Like Nick we suggest CAT6 vs. CAT5 as the better option – though we do have a fair few systems running over CAT5 on 'legacy' cabling.

HDBT utilises an RJ45 connector so no worries about HDMI being a push/pull connector if you have embedded HDBT at the Projector.

Joe

Archived