Production of Ladies Day

Inyanga

Bacalhau!

A national dish in Portugal, also popular in Spain and Italy, cod which is caught and stored in salt whilst at sea, the result is a completely dry loin of cod that lasts for months at room temperature until rehydrating before cooking. A lot more delicious than it sounds!

It might handle slightly different than a wet fish, but certainly looks like fish and with its long shelf life should be hygienic, though you might want to keep it away from the ice. It's not cheap but it might even be edible after the whole run as it gets well washed during the rehydration process! Portuguese delicatessens sell it:

http://supermercadoportugal.pt/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=163

Bacalhau!

A national dish in Portugal, also popular in Spain and Italy, cod which is caught and stored in salt whilst at sea, the result is a completely dry loin of cod that lasts for months at room temperature until rehydrating before cooking. A lot more delicious than it sounds!

It might handle slightly different than a wet fish, but certainly looks like fish and with its long shelf life should be hygienic, though you might want to keep it away from the ice. It's not cheap but it might even be edible after the whole run as it gets well washed during the rehydration process! Portuguese delicatessens sell it:

http://supermercadop...&product_id=163

Also available in the UK as 'Salt Fish' I ate loads of it in my youth in Liverpool and it was cheap! nowadays it's expensive

Bacalhau!

http://supermercadop...&product_id=163

Also available in the UK as 'Salt Fish' I ate loads of it in my youth in Liverpool and it was cheap! nowadays it's expensive

Depends where you are, salt fish is very Jamaican so those areas of London you might be on to a winner.

Buy portions of real fish, coat in veg oil, cast in plaster. cook fish on a PAR64! (with extra calcium sulphate)

Use moulds to roll material like playdoh, plasticine, white tac, C4, into reusable fish shapes. can be remade every show. Most materials can be modified by adding veg oil or 3 in 1 oil.

Think Wallace and Grommet

I would not recommend using the placing upon a par64 method of accelerating the setting of plaster of paris. Plaster needs no accelerating and you'd be able to demould the original within an hour without the aid of a 1000w lamp. I also dispute the use of the word 'coat' as in order to get a workable mould you will have to use considerably more technique than 'coating'. It would be a very easy mould to make though. Create a mould box out of foamboard held together with hot glue. Construct the box so that you leave around an inch gap on each side of your piece of fish and so that the top of the box sits an inch higher than the top of the fish. Glue the four sides to another piece of foamboard to create the bottom. Spend some time ensuring all joined edges are thoroughly sealed inside and out with the glue to prevent the liquid plaster leaking out. Place the fish centrally in the box, with the top side facing up. Brush the fish with a release agent if you wish, although tbh it probably would not need it, but a thin coat of vaseline of mould release wax on the foamboard will be useful. Mix your fine casting plaster of paris (not wall plaster) so that it has the consistency of double cream, pour the plaster slowly and steadily into one corner of the box until the plaster has filled the box to the top. Wait, for an hour or two. Remove the foamboard. Remove the fish from the mould and throw it away. Allow your mould another hour to properly dry on the inside and voila, you have a simple press mould for your plasticene etc.

As another note, don't mould them out of C4 as previously suggested, as this may incur a visit from the law enforcement officers in your area. And the possible loss of your hands.

enjoy :)

Ignoring the Acting v. authentic Props argument, raw fish on a cold slabs smells, under stage lighting it would STINK. Even fairly innocuous cooked food on stage is very hard on audience members who didn't eat before the show.

• 3 weeks later...

Ignoring the Acting v. authentic Props argument, raw fish on a cold slabs smells, under stage lighting it would STINK. Even fairly innocuous cooked food on stage is very hard on audience members who didn't eat before the show.

I'll also say it can be torture on the poor technicians too - many years ago I did a tour with Trestle Theatre which involved the on-stage baking of a loaf of bread from start to finish. mostly one-night-stands, and in those venues when getting something to eat before the show proved tricky, by the end of the show, with the aroma of the baking bread filling the venue, my stomach would definitely be protesting.....

For a production recently we needed a single fish, and that fish lived in the freezer, and made nightly appearances, and went back in the freezer. It looked OK, and didn't end up stinking, much to our amazement. We did, of course, have an understudy, but it weas never required and stayed in the freezer throughout the run.

Ladies Day, however, needs rather more fishwork than a single fish....

• 2 months later...

Archived