Speaker Issue

JCC1996

Hi all,

I was using my speakers (Torque TSM200P) at a rehearsal tonight and they stopped working. The system was 4 x dynamic mics and MacBook Pro for playback > Small mixer > speakers. I was playing a track from the laptop and suddenly the sound just stopped. It still showed as playing in Qlab and the mixer was still registering a signal. There was a hum coming from the speakers - not overly loud but louder than the usual background hum they give out! I tried plugging the laptop straight into the speaker, missing out the mixer, but there was no change to the issue. Someone said that they saw smoke coming from the speaker, but I suspect that this was dust being displaced while the woofer vibrated? There was also a smell coming from them... not quite what I'd say was electrical burning, so again I suspect the smell was just dust.

I had just resigned myself to the fact that my beloved speakers were goosed, but when I got home I have plugged them in and they seem to be working absolutely fine! Any suggestions as to what could have been wrong? I'm thinking some sort of issue with the power supply?

Incidentally, when I was looking into possible causes, I had a look at the fuse: there is a 5a fuse in a slot clearly marked as being 2a MAX. The speaker passed a PAT test 12 days ago! Should this have been picked up?

Thanks,

Joe

This system has a single amp powering both speakers AFAIK. Therefore it sounds as though the amp has gone into overtemp protection. Once it had cooled down it then reset itself. Often amps have a simple bi-metal disc type temp operated switch fixed to the heatsink to protect the output transistors. Can't quite explain away the hum while it was in a fault state though. Does the master unit have a fan and does it work and are all the vents clear of fluff?

The PAT test question really depends on whether this was an internal D.C. fuse or the externally accessible mains fuse. I don't think you can expect Joe Pattester to go rooting around inside your amp but it is reasonable to expect him to check an external mains fuse. Mind you questions like this always seem to provoke a heated exchange on the BR so I'm off to bed!

Dave

Brian: £30 for 10 items, I'm not sure of the relevance of that though?

sleah: I'm fairly sure that it was the driver; it was visibly vibrating.

Also, it is just a fuse drawer underneath the IEC socket. Interestingly, the spare fuse stored in the fuse drawer is the correct rating.

Archived