Wireless router with the best range

GC1971

An injector is how you get power into an ethernet cable when your switch or router doesn't supply PoE.

Ta.

This do?

You almost certainly *don't* want a UAP. The UAP is a dedicated access point which no other features which requires a piece of software running on computer somewhere on the network to control an manage it. It's just an access point it has no DHCP or DNS features. If you wish to connect an iOS device to this network then it's basically mandatory to have working DNS on the network otherwise the iOS device waits several minutes for a DNS timeout each time you reconnect to the network before it allows you to configure static addresses manually.

To be honest I'm not really sure what to suggest as I'd be doing this with Unifi gear and a separate computer running DNS/DHCP and the Unifi controller software. For a single box turnkey solution it's going to be some kind of consumer level 'wifi router' box however I've no idea what is any good.

An injector is how you get power into an ethernet cable when your switch or router doesn't supply PoE.

Ta.

This do?

You almost certainly *don't* want a UAP. The UAP is a dedicated access point which no other features which requires a piece of software running on computer somewhere on the network to control an manage it. It's just an access point it has no DHCP or DNS features. If you wish to connect an iOS device to this network then it's basically mandatory to have working DNS on the network otherwise the iOS device waits several minutes for a DNS timeout each time you reconnect to the network before it allows you to configure static addresses manually.

To be honest I'm not really sure what to suggest as I'd be doing this with Unifi gear and a separate computer running DNS/DHCP and the Unifi controller software. For a single box turnkey solution it's going to be some kind of consumer level 'wifi router' box however I've no idea what is any good.

OK, thanks a lot chelgrain.

Unless anyone here can recommend one that works especially well I'll pop down to PCurryWorldArgosfingy and get one with the bluest LED.

It's just such a pisser when your half way through timing up and you got to walk back to FOH. God I'm one lazy sod.

OK, thanks a lot chelgrain.

Unless anyone here can recommend one that works especially well I'll pop down to PCurryWorldArgosfingy and get one with the bluest LED.

It's just such a pisser when your half way through timing up and you got to walk back to FOH. God I'm one lazy sod.

From some googling and based on using their USB wifi dongles and powerline stuff perhaps something like:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00PK0JLCI/ref=twister_B00KHS1DS8?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

Or one of their earlier cheaper models. Obviously download and read the manual first to make sure it is going to do what you need it to do.

TP-Link are about 2/3rds of the price of models from other brands but they seem to have good reviews and in some cases better wifi performance than some big name brands.

I've not had any issues setting iOS devices to have a static IP with no DNS or gateway configured.

I often run dedicated APs this way with no issues.

The ubiquiti bullet and nanostations definitely don't need any further management other than initial configuration through the web interface.

The TP Link stuff is great, I have one of these and its about half the size of a cigarette packet, and USB powered, has a really good range and is ultra portable. for the price and size nothing beats it. Obviously if your talking arena sized venues then your going to need something with serious antennas, but for a theatre or anywhere of a reasonable size that will do you fine.

http://www.tp-link.com/en/products/details/?model=TL-WR702N

Archived