Wireless router with the best range

GC1971

Evening all,

My trusty wireless router gave up the ghost in rehearsals today, and it's time to get another one.

My main buying criteria is that it has a good range, and that it looks cute.

Can I please get an idea from you lot as to how far yours work reliably?

Thanks a lot

Gc

That particular one is on 5.8GHz (band c) - which is a reserved (light-touch licensed) bit at the top of the 5GHz wifi spectrum designed for point-to-point links. But you can do similar on 2.4

The hardware is exactly the same as standard wifi devices, but with some of the timers tweaked to accommodate the longer link transit time.

but we digress.... sorry!

Evening all,

My trusty wireless router gave up the ghost in rehearsals today, and it's time to get another one.

Thanks a lot

Gc

In general Wifi is limited to an EIRP of 20dbm this includes any antenna gain in the system. Unless you are doing special things with directional antenna then this translates in to a range of anywhere between 20m and 70m depending on a whole host of factors in the local environment. In practice interference from other networks and in ability of connected stations to 'see' each other limit the range before issues around power levels come in to play.

Do you actually want a 'router' ie something that probably has a DHCP server in it, a firewall, can do NAT and is expecting to be connected to the internet? Or do you want an 'access point' which just bridges your wired network on to the wireless world?

But you can do similar on 2.4

Interesting… is there anything (legally) stopping someone from using a similar transmitter, and for instance setting up a wifi network with the SSID "Vote Monster Raving Loony" etc. etc.?

but we digress.... sorry!

Indeed.

As it happens I'm looking for a wireless router for some of our digital consoles - probably similar to what the OP is after. At the moment we're using a plug-in dongle, which is OK but easily overpowered when there's lots of 2.4GHz traffic. I'm wondering about something in the 5GHz range, and possibly direction aerials. There's one event in particular where I need to be a good distance away from the mix position, but it's up a high street so a relatively narrow range to aim at.

1424809802[/url]' post='517920']
1424806119[/url]' post='517912']

Evening all,

Thanks a lot

Gc

In general Wifi is limited to an EIRP of 20dbm this includes any antenna gain in the system. Unless you are doing special things with directional antenna then this translates in to a range of anywhere between 20m and 70m depending on a whole host of factors in the local environment. In practice interference from other networks and in ability of connected stations to 'see' each other limit the range before issues around power levels come in to play.

Do you actually want a 'router' ie something that probably has a DHCP server in it, a firewall, can do NAT and is expecting to be connected to the internet? Or do you want an 'access point' which just bridges your wired network on to the wireless world?

Wow.. Blimey these are ruddy excellent answers, and serve to illustrate my woeful lack of wifi knowledge..Erum, I don't know Mon Amie.. It's for iPad remote control of digital desks. -does that help?

Yes it helps. I’m assuming you’re setting up an isolated network, not internet-connected or connected to any other corporate network, with only your desk and iPad on it. You don’t actually need a router (cos you’re not connecting it to the “outside world”). But you want more than an access point, cos you would probably be looking for DHCP services.

So either: get an access point and configure static addresses on everything, or get a router, use the router’s DHCP, and don’t use the uplink port.

Interesting… is there anything (legally) stopping someone from using a similar transmitter, and for instance setting up a wifi network with the SSID "Vote Monster Raving Loony" etc. etc.?

Probably nothing that would be easily enforcible. Remember, these things are pretty directional, and at range you need the special antennae at each end. But the idea of having a SSID like that, in a building across the road from the opposition’s office, is intriguing - even if they couldn’t connect, they might still see the SSID.

As it happens I'm looking for a wireless router for some of our digital consoles - probably similar to what the OP is after. At the moment we're using a plug-in dongle, which is OK but easily overpowered when there's lots of 2.4GHz traffic. I'm wondering about something in the 5GHz range, and possibly direction aerials. There's one event in particular where I need to be a good distance away from the mix position, but it's up a high street so a relatively narrow range to aim at.

5GHz is much clearer than 2.4 - but becoming busier all the time.

Lots of interesting products - routers, bridges, and external antennae that can be added to existing kit - on http://www.solwise.co.uk

1424811780[/url]' post='517924']

Yes it helps. I'm assuming you're setting up an isolated network, not internet-connected or connected to any other corporate network, with only your desk and iPad on it. You don't actually need a router (cos you're not connecting it to the "outside world"). But you want more than an access point, cos you would probably be looking for DHCP services.

So either: get an access point and configure static addresses on everything, or get a router, use the router's DHCP, and don't use the uplink port.

Ok, ta.

So I guess the q still stands with either of these options.

I've had a look at that site and I'm not sure what to go for, -what do you recommend?

Cheers

Gc

Archived