Rode iXY

GC1971

Hi all.

A pal needs to start recording their rehearsals and the above seems to be a good solution.

Has anyone used it and if so how did it work out?

Cheeers

Gc

Morning GC1971

I can't comment on the sound quality as I've never seen one, however it does immediately shout to me as it's the old iPhone/ iPod connector, there may be new connector version available (I didn’t search) but that’s not to say apple won't change the connector again, giving the device a life span, this also throws the issue that if you want to use the mic for long periods, you are limited the the battery of the I Device as you can't charge and record at the same time.

I use Zoom H4n recorders, perfect for what you describe, not much more money in the scheme of things and if you want to take a mix out of a mixing desk rather than just record the room, they have double XLY inputs. they do a H2n (or something with a 2 in anyway) which doesn't have the XLR's, this would be close to the price of the Rode.

I'd have a look through the Zoom range and pick one from there which is a standalone unit rather than making a phone do the job.

Hope this helps.

+1 for the Zoom H4.

I can confirm that Rode have made an iXY for the lightening connector because they announced it on their publicity emails. I haven't used it though, and I think it might be more expensive than the old one.

Thanks all, good food for thought.The zooms look very good. On this very rare occasion I think the sound quality comes second to ease of use, the huge advantage of the rode is that after each session each member of the band can get an email with the recording, sent from a non technically minded band member.I didn't clock the connector issue, nor the battery drain one. I wonder how long you can record for?CheersGc

Edit. Why does an iPad loose formatting ?

I didn't clock the connector issue, nor the battery drain one

I've seen adaptor leads with lightning plug and both lighting and old style apple sockets. Depending on the spacing of the two sockets you *might* be able to plug the rode and a charger in at the same time....

Archived