Speaker wiring - 12 Tops 3 subs 3 amps

Barlos

Hi, I'm rewiring the sound system in one of our bars (mains cable has been used for both signal and speakers) and I'm struggling with the layout. Could any of you give me some pointers.

The bar is rather large and the sound system is split into 2 zones with a cloud 2 zone mixer. We have 12 8 ohm tops and 3 amps and I'm looking to add 3 subs to give it a bit of balls.

Zone 1

8 8 ohm Tops and 2 8 ohm subs

Zone 2

4 8 ohm Tops and 1 8 ohm sub.

The amps are 2 QSC RMX 1450s - 4 ohm bridged 1400 Watts, 2 ohm stereo 700 watts pch

and 1 QSC USA 900 - 8 ohms Bridged 900 watts, 2 ohm stereo 550 watts pch.

What is the best way to wire these together? The subs have built in crossovers with an out to the tops. I've tried to work out the resistance but the built in crossover throws me off. I could buy a rack mount crossover if need be.

Thanks in advance,

Col

. I've tried to work out the resistance but the built in crossover throws me off

assuming its designed for an 8 ohm top box the whole network will be 8 ohms

That's what I was thinking, the amp only sees the crossover?

The subs have built in crossovers with an out to the tops.

If budget allowed, I would definitely use an external active crossover rather than the passive crossover in the subs. The main reason being that you will be able to balance the level of the subs and tops. Being able to set the crossover point and type of filter is also a bonus.

Relying on the passive crossover means that if the sensitivity of your tops is different to that of the loudspeaker the designer expected to be connected, then you will likely have something that is unbalanced (too much or not enough bass).

Stu

Archived