Steel Deck Upright Ladder

djsheehan

Hi All,

After a little advice if I may.

Currently working on Steel Deck based set for a production. The director has asked for an upright ladder to be added to the side of one of the platforms.

The 8x4 platform it will be mounted to is 6ft high and the ladder does not need to provide any form of access to the higher level simply to allow a few steps off the ground to be taken within the action- obviously in the safest manner possible.

I don't have the facilities to fabricate anything myself and am sure a solution for something similar will have been found many a time before so does anyone have any suggestion of how to achieve this as "off the the shelf" as possible.

Many Thanks,

the ladder does not need to provide any form of access to the higher level simply to allow a few steps off the ground to be taken within the action

I'd be rather careful about taking the director's word for that if I were you! ;)

the ladder does not need to provide any form of access to the higher level simply to allow a few steps off the ground to be taken within the action

I'd be rather careful about taking the director's word for that if I were you! ;)

I would make sure your risk assessment assumes that it will be climbed to gain access to the upper level. If a ladder is there, someone will climb it even if it isn't part of the shows. Therefore, the Director's stated use is handy to know but doesn't really inform your choice of solution. Now, if you could find something with only two rungs at the bottom.....

The 8x4 platform it will be mounted to is 6ft high and the ladder does not need to provide any form of access to the higher level simply to allow a few steps off the ground

If that single steel deck is free standing, ie not braced to a solid part of the infrastructure at all, then anyone climbing it in anywhere near normal fashion WILL be enough to cause it to become unstable, and I'd hazard if they climbed up that 6 foot and leaned back, they'd very easily be able to tip it - even if it was end-on...

Archived