d&b Q system options for ground stacking

GC1971

The focal point from the dome and cupola is right in the centre of the floor (where the pendulum usually is). Any conversation held towards the edge of the floor area can be hard at almost the same level at the opposite side - certainly very confusing when you first hear it! If you have a band playing you can walk away and start to hear what it's like being sat on stage with them!

When the venue was redeveloped, the acoustic consultants modelled acoustically treating the dome, but English Heritage would not allow it to be fitted. I did manage to get them to fit the black drapes that span the colonnade though.

I can't remember what bass arrangements we've tried - I haven't been on all the gigs we've done up there. Our best results for speech reinforcement (with Shakespeare in the dome) was effectively a distributed system as we had to cover around 500 people in raked 360 degree seating. For band work we've tried dBTech array modules run pretty much at 0 degrees aimed at the dance floor.

For those wondering what this "venue from hell" looks like, there's a shot below.... and yes - we've had plenty of early morning load outs and a weary journey over the moors back to Derby !

http://www.visitbuxton.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/Dome/Dome%201.jpg

Archived