d&b Q system options for ground stacking

GC1971

Hello all,

I have a gig coming up in a 40m dome, It's ground-stack only. I was going to use 2xQ1 over 3xQsubs per side with front fills, but am having second thoughts.

I've messed about with Arraycalc and to be honest I can't figure out how to substitute Q7 for Q1. Oh for training..

Has anyone done a gig like this? -Stage to be approx 10m in.

Content ranges from Lectern / Lav speech; Rock and Roll band, then the ruddy dj.

Thanks

GC

I believe that in arraycalc you can only model a single q7 as part of an array (as the downfill element) or model each q7 as a point source

E2a: I have a lot of luck With stacks consisting of a b2, 1 or 2 qsubs (depending on gig) and 2 q7's with the horns switched to wide mode, used them in a few large spaces for corporates with bands.

Ta for the replies.

I was thinking of using a couple as point source boxes split wide on the subs. I've had great results with 1xQ7 on a sub but was thinking of having a couple this time. Have you done this? if so how far did it throw?

I would say if you are doing a DJ make sure you have 3 Q subs at least.. and I personally would have 3 Tops had this exact config for the whole of last summer and found that if I only had two boxes it wouldn't throw as far ( not coupling) and would need at least 3 subs a side to get a decent low end.

I would say if you are doing a DJ make sure you have 3 Q subs at least.. and I personally would have 3 Tops had this exact config for the whole of last summer and found that if I only had two boxes it wouldn't throw as far ( not coupling) and would need at least 3 subs a side to get a decent low end.

Ta mate. I was going back to the 2 xQ1 on 3xQsubs / side. but I'll try 3 tops. What angle did you use? ArrayCalc doesn't seem much point with 2 or 3 cabs groundstacked.

It's a 35m throw now.

Nb705: -Thanks for the replies friend.

GC

Buxton dome. It's a pig. you end up thinking crikey I'm schizophrenic.

Ha! I know it well! We take our final year students up there to give them a taste of a gig with 'difficult acoustics'... We've tried point source, line arrays, steered subs, distributed systems... The only thing we never got round to was borrowing some Intellivox (although we did get it modelled!).

Good luck with the gig - at least you won't need reverb and delay :-)

Buxton dome. It's a pig. you end up thinking crikey I'm schizophrenic.

Ha! I know it well! We take our final year students up there to give them a taste of a gig with 'difficult acoustics'... We've tried point source, line arrays, steered subs, distributed systems... The only thing we never got round to was borrowing some Intellivox (although we did get it modelled!).

Good luck with the gig - at least you won't need reverb and delay :-)

Thanks Simon,

Did you get your kids to stand in the weird spot and try to work out whose conversation they could hear best? Man that's one odd place to be in.

I've a thrust stage with a string quartet at the end -right on that point. As ridiculous as it sounds I'm going to try and convince them to go with inears. I never thought I'd offer that as a solution... Anywhere, anytime.

As an aside what modelled best with the low end? Csa looks ok but I'm expecting some fairly extensive side lobing,

Your course looks fun, I'm delivering a Btec 2days a week but can't get my lot out. Wish I could though. You just can't beat the experience of loading in tired, rigging even more tired, engineering knackered then derigging on fumes..

Haha what are we getting them into?

just had a flat array mate

Hi fella, not sure I get you, do you mean add as groundstacked then as a floor point of 1.5m to accommodate the 3 subs?

Looking like it'll be fine at 4 degrees (from memory) to cover 30m. Then the point sourses as lip fill will get the dance floor front edge.

I'm not as concerned with the mid/hi I'll keep a serious lid on that its more the wallowing headache swallowing intelligibility that's going to get me.

Ta thoug

GC

Archived