LED fixture control

Marineboy63

I'm looking for a desk to operate our Selecon LED profiles and Fresnels.

They are going in an off site drama studio used by unskilled, unsupervised drama students.

It's needs enough complexity for them to get good use of the colour mixing etc. but simple enough that they can fade up and down up to 12 fixtures without programming and without endless phone calls saying "It's not working".

any ideas?

Nice, but surely still too complicated and full of buttons that may as well be labelled "help - telephone....."

I've been looking for something very simple for a while now for one client, and ideally he just wants 12 faders that do RGBRGBRGBRGB and work four different types of light, all set to the same DMX. Sure, on the clever controls you can map pretty well anything to a fader, but the cost is too high and the features you paid for, hardly touched. In fact, for many uses, something simple that just let you map a DMX channel to a fader would be fine. Everything is just designed to do so much, that simple has been forgotten.

I'm smiling imagining drama students away from site, in a room, unsupervised. They'll probably leave the door open and your problem will go away because somebody will nick the kit!

I hate to suggest it from a cheaper brand but this would do.

http://www.chauvetli...uk/obey-70.html

Simple and easy, you can over-ride a fixture incredibly simply or create some basic preset scenes of useful combinations. Dirty cheap and would do the job.

Um, I'm testing stuff with one of those sat on my desk right now and I think it would be confusing to operate for the uninitiated. It always powers up in blackout so moving the faders does nothing, and it doesn't hold the state when you switch to a different bank of faders (a different fixture button). Also channels 15+16 and 31+32 are on a weird joystick instead of faders.The refresh rate on the faders is very slow too, so you get stepping as you move the fader up.

Nice, but surely still too complicated and full of buttons that may as well be labelled "help - telephone....."

I've been looking for something very simple for a while now for one client, and ideally he just wants 12 faders that do RGBRGBRGBRGB and work four different types of light, all set to the same DMX. Sure, on the clever controls you can map pretty well anything to a fader, but the cost is too high and the features you paid for, hardly touched. In fact, for many uses, something simple that just let you map a DMX channel to a fader would be fine. Everything is just designed to do so much, that simple has been forgotten.

I'm smiling imagining drama students away from site, in a room, unsupervised. They'll probably leave the door open and your problem will go away because somebody will nick the kit!

Luckily the building is secure(ish) but the rest of your post is spot on. I guess it's early days for LED fixtures. They're not generic and they're not movers.

They need a new type of controller.

isnt there a 12ch stairville or similar bog OEM controller that is just a bigger version of the drive6?

Drive6 having 6 faders and a master, if you fix the master to full, then no matter what they push something will happen.

is this the sort of thing you mean?

Almost.

Needs to control 12 fixtures and only use the parameters RGB and W so it needs to patch as well.

If it had pages and patches that would do.

I was thinking more that it matched what Ashley R was describing. I agree, it doesn't tick the boxes for your requirement.

Isn't this sort of application area that something like a Jester ML is aimed at, or do you think even that would be too complicated?

For a while, I toyed with the idea of a really cheap 1 to 1 controller, and then cutting off the faders for the things that need to be preset, leaving just the RGBW - using 2 12 channel ones to get 4 different types of fixture. A venue I look after occasionally had a 24 fader panel, feeding 4 6 channel dimmer racks but they now have some LEDs and the magicq they use for the clever lights is too much for the function people who just want bar, table and display lights on.

Archived