New from Behringer & Midas at NAMM 2015

Alec

Exciting times in the Music Group portfolio...

Midas introduce their version of the X32 Core.

Midas M32C

http://www.music-group.com/midas/namm/images/m32c_large_rev.png

Behringer introduces 2 stage drop boxes, both with P16 hub

Behringer SD8 & SD16

http://www.behringer.com/assets/S8_Main.jpg http://www.behringer.com/assets/SD16_Main.jpg

Behringer & Midas both introduce 32+16 3u stageboxes

Behringer S32

Midas DL32

http://www.behringer.com/assets/S32_Main.jpg http://www.music-group.com/midas/namm/images/dl32_large_rev.png

So, that's the entire X32 range given a Midas equivalent, other than the X32 Compact, plus the 32 channel stageboxes.

Love the form factor of the 32+16 channel stageboxes, but then it makes me wonder if there's safety in having 2 x 16+8, as failure will still leave you with the other one. A DL32 plus an X32 should give you all the audio quality of the Midas setup...

Interesting that they point out that "two S32 Stage Boxes can be connected via the mixer’s built-in dual AES50 ports, providing connectivity for up to 64 remote mic/line inputs, 32 balanced outputs" and "When 32 inputs are not enough, an S32 Stage Box may also be cascaded with an S16 or SD16 for full use of the 48-channel bidirectional capacity of AES50 SuperMAC networking on just one CAT5 line"

Does this mean that you could mix 40 mic pres from the stage, if you drop the line inputs from the desk? And, presumably, the only point of being able to have 64 remote inputs is to allow, say, repatching between acts? Or have I missed something?

And then, the M32R - I don't really get it. It's just cosmetic, right? If the M32's only benefits were faders, mic pres & form factor - the Core has none of these, so you might as well go for the Behringer - unless it's just about the badge?

"7 & 8 are always linked to the USB"

not exactly true...

you can't take a physical local in to aux 7&8 (the usb player by default)

you can bring ins through AES50, card, etc and re-route to 7&8 the same as you can re-route any input to any channel - but it can get hard work, patching - the batches of 8 are not a physical limit but you do end up working around it.

the facebook forums have a few documented examples of using an x32 rack (which has the aux channels) and an s16 on stage to access all the aux channels and - most ingeniously - use some for talkback between monitor position and FOH.

the aux channels miss out on compression and gates to each channel but very handy for things like click, music playback etc, even keyboards at a push.

Not sure about that cat5 connecter when being stood on.

Interesting the SD8 and 16 are just Cat5 sockets and not Ethercon.

Too true, the XR series are all just Cat5 connectors too. On the bright side, they shouldn't be too trodden on, given the fact that there will be a load of XLRs adjacent, providing protection.

I'd have preferred to see the XR boxes having the option to be remote stageboxes for the X32 line. Then they'd have been great dual purpose boxes, being either small self contained mixers, or remote I/O for a bigger system (a bit like the way you can use an X32 Rack as either).

A&H have also announced the Qu-Pac...

Now, that's a product that I really don't get. And is it just me, or is it plain *FUGLY*

Good point! Though there are no pictures other than the front panel, the spec does separately identify:

• AES50 network ports featuring KLARK TEKNIK’s SuperMAC networking capability for ultra-low jitter and latency
  • 4-port ULTRANET distribution hub for powered connection of four BEHRINGER P16-M personal monitoring mixers

So, there *should* be separate AES50 ports on the side/rear that we just can't see in these shots.

@splodge360 AES50 is not compatible with Dante. Dante is audio over IP / packet based / works through standard ethernet switches. AES50 is compatible on physical layer, but not IP based, just the same connectors and cable. Different protocols.

• 9 months later...

@splodge360 AES50 is not compatible with Dante. Dante is audio over IP / packet based / works through standard ethernet switches. AES50 is compatible on physical layer, but not IP based, just the same connectors and cable. Different protocols.

Sir I would like to ask. Can that AES50 on behringer s32/16 be replaced with a Dante card

And very nice the Berry Dante card is too; it really is just a carrier for the Auduinate Dante Brooklyn interface card, so not very much of the card is actually Berry. It works just like any other card in the slot, assign channels in bunches of 8 up to 32 max. Only real annoyance is its a bit expensive. But then, sadly, everything Dante is.

It also works like every other device on a Dante network, plug it in, use the configuration software on a PC (or Mac) to configure the paths.

Archived