Gender Survey

Fiona

Which are you ?  

60 members have voted

1. 1. Which are you ?

• Male
    • Female

Another female for the boards here...yep agree - vastly under represented in this area of work - and on this site!!! It's just all the male testosterone flying around thats makes us all sit quietly!!! ;)

Am doing my bit tho' showing students that it doesn't have to be a male dominanted profession!!! ;)

Will go and sit quietly again now.....until I have the next blonde moment and need your help!!! (say nothing Thirdtap.....!!!) See can't live with you all....can't live without you!! ;)

Guest lightnix

Helen said:

Yes there are some female posters out here....don't know how many of us there are though!!!
Well let's find out. I know this is supposed to be a "male dominated industry", but to what extent ?

I know it's obvious in most cases as to who is what, but I just thought I'd give you all yet another excuse to waste time on the Web (as if you needed one).

Coming soon... Poll: Most pointless poll so far.

could someone (obviously a very highly talented male moderator ;) ) move my last post from the 'how old are you' thread to this one please........ta very muchly......

before someone jumps on me and says stop being so defensive.....I don't have a big female chip on my shoulder - actually quite like being in the minority, find that it can work to my advantage being the token female. ;) God this is starting to sound really bad.....not doing myself any favours....will be leaving now......

note to self - prepare to duck from flying accusations from all sides...... ;)

Thirdtap Posted on 20 Jun 2003, 01:26 PM

Oh that's such a girl thing to say....

Fiona Posted on 20 Jun 2003, 01:24 PM

I'm saying nothing...........

men....tuh!!!!

Why is it always girls and men in theatre never ladies and boys??

because men can't bring themselves to see us as ladies......especially in the tech world......could go on now about lack of respect for us, and wanting to be seen as more superior (men that is!) and such like - but won't get drawn in to this argument. Personally don't have a problem with being called a girl - in or out of the theatre- but know many that do and make of point of it being known!!

BUT....girls / ladies (insert own title) do need to prove themselves more in the technical world - we are usually seen as probably not being as competant as the chap who does a similar job.....we do need to work harder to show that we have the same skills and knowledge. I have been the first female technician in my last 2 places of employment and have had to work soooooo hard to really prove that a 'girl' can do it!! If a bloke messes up it's just them , if a girl does the same all of us would be tarred with the same brush far quicker......

I'll take my soap box home now!!

I suspect the results of a poll on the SMA site would be markedly different from this one - Every technical team I have come across have been predominantly male, yet I know/ have worked with predominantly* female stage management (I was once the only male in a team of 10, and most of my predecessors/successors in stage management work have been female).

*=I mean that most of the stage managers were female - not that each one of them was predominantly female - that would just be silly ;)

Hey,

another female here signing in! But feeling a bit stupid ;) as I have managed to not vote and now it won't let me but I wanted to help show the female minority on this board!

Hope everyone is well,

Sarah ;)

Hello.

I'm here! How could you forget about me?!

I wonder if the reason I'm so confused about whether I want to do stage management or technical management is because I'm female. I do always worry that I won't be very useful because I can't lift things (this isn't just a gender generalisation, I'm tiny!). I also can't reach things from the tops of ladders etc. ;) But people always tell me that it's not a problem!

I do agree that stage managers tend to be female - all of our first year SMs at Central are female, but then our technical management strand is also predominantly female at the moment.

I wonder is this signals the start of women taking over the theatre and/or the world?! ;)

Rachel

Interestingly, the last three work experience folks we've had have been girls. (Technically correct! They're 16) We tend to see: Blokes working in venues, and women working on touring shows. (With notable exceptions) I think this site's inequality may be something to do with men being more prone to wasting time on the internet...

Please ignore this post if it sound excessivly geeky but I just looked at the poll stats today and including Rachel we have a 10:1 ratio on this group.

Now I understand that this is a more skewed ratio (see I spelt it correctly this time) than to be found in medieval Iceland (well according to the sagas anyway) and they killed girls at birth.

Well this is what my SO says and she is making a dissertation out of it but I understand if no-one on this group cares!

I'd like to agree with James C - out of a stage management team of 9 covering our season of four shows in london and 2 tours, 8 were female. And they all (men and women) did avrey good job. Although "multi tasking" and "Multi skills" are widely discussed, the traditional split of "boys = kit, numbers, hardware etc" and "girls = managing, people, problem solving, etc" still seems to apply.

Archived