LED house lights for a Church

nplatt

I am looking toreplace our old flood lights at Church with some LED fixtures,currently we have 8*500w floods in 4 pairs which are on standard switches, theyoffer very limited flexibility when we have special services or concerts. We would like to replace them with something which offers a bit more flexibility.

I have found someLED fixtures from Anytronics which work well as spot lights for features in thebuilding so will be using those along with their dimmers and anyscene to set upan number of pre set scenes for general use. I also want to be able to plug aexternal desk in and control the lights through them which I can achieve withthe Anytronics products.

The fixtures I amstruggling with is the replacements for the floods, Ideally I want to replacethem with LED fixtures as they are currently 6.5m high and with the Church having a raked floor and fixed pews changing a bulb is a job and a half. I havebeen having a look at some of the Cambridge Light Eco Range but can't work outif they are dimmable so will have to wait till I can speak to them.

Does anyone have asuggestions for fixtures that will replace the floods? I think I am looking foraround 60w as the church is 17m by 12m.

Having done somereading I understand the issue with some LED's and the fact they don't dimsmoothly all the way down to 0 that's not to much of a issue I just what to beable to do something other than full on or off, so a snap of at the lower endis not a problem.

Budget is around £8kof which around £3.5k is already set aside for the control and the featurespots. Installation is on top of this budget.[/size][/font]

Thanks

Neil

Do please remember that only lighing geeks will successfully use a DMX controller to make the lights work. MOST users of the space need an ON/OFF switch and need instructions in how to use that engraved on a plate fastened to the switch. Your tungsten floodlights have been current technology for 50 years and are still valid. The laptop that you use for control will be beyond most users of the space and will with luck last five years til it's unserviceable. No spares will be available for cheap Chinese LED fittings -spare lamp means new complete fitting -but should be at a reasonably long interval -Have a spare or two.

What I found the other day looked to be good was a "normal" dimmer switch designed for LED lamps. I think it was about £10, in theory (I might be wrong) you can take any dimmable led unit and place on it.

I would say ANY led unit but I imagine the psu might complain a bit.

Do please remember that only lighing geeks will successfully use a DMX controller to make the lights work.

These are ideal. And not very expensive. Lighting tech records 8 states. Each button turns state on or off. Easy as you like.It even has external triggering ports if you want to build yourself a *really* simple controller to hook up to it.

http://www.elationlighting.com/images/products/dr-pro-rack_large1.jpg

Have a look at Pro lighting Accessories. They are in Burnley so not a million miles from you. They ,amongst other items, do a rotary domestic type dimmer that transmits DMX . That may be a possibility ?

For fixtures look at the Beacon 26w led spots from Havells Sylvania. These are 36 degree dimmable spots about equivalent to a 100w halogen. Very small and discreet, good light quality, and good for churches.

Avoid the typical "led flood", they always seem to be shining in your eyes.

You don't say what flavour of church, but many churches have "planning permission" systems when it comes to changing lighting, for example in c of e churches you have to apply for a faculty. Be careful of this.

Thanks for the advice, to answer some of the questions.

The Church is a LEP (URC & Methodist) the building is not listed and as we are making no structural changes neither denomination requies us to ask for their permission.

I have picked the anyscene so I could have the same panel at each of the 3 doors to the Church each with the same setting, I also like them because you need to unscrew them from the wall to make changes. It will hopefully stop people making "acidental" changes.

I had looked at some of the LED lights that need power and DMX at each location but I want to ideally not have to distribute DMX around the building it another thing to go wrong. I want this to be a simple as possible as I want to use it to show what we can do with the building, I have a longer term vision to have theater lanterns available for events but one step at a time.

Will have a look at pro lighting accessories and Havells Sylvania to see what they can offer. Just seen as well that Cambridge light have a chruch team so will see what they say.

Thanks

Neil

If you want a demo of the Havells Sylvania system I can put you in touch with them, they'll come and do a proposed design for you, no obligation. I don't have any commercial interest but I'm a lighting advisor for York C of E diocese and they have done some good schemes for us here.

If you want a demo of the Havells Sylvania system I can put you in touch with them, they'll come and do a proposed design for you, no obligation. I don't have any commercial interest but I'm a lighting advisor for York C of E diocese and they have done some good schemes for us here.

Thanks for the offer have PM'ed you with me contact details.

Archived