Radio mic for a church

sclg

A local church is after a single handheld system to complement some fixed mics and a double lavalier system (MiPro)

It's to replace an ancient Trantec one which has finally broken in half - after 15 years!

It's only used for voice - typically passed around a lot. I'm happy with the Line6 V75s I've got for our theatre and wondered about the V35 which seems reasonably priced.

... or maybe the Trantec S4???

Low cost is, of course, paramount!

What does the team think??

Thanks

Steve

My experience in Australia may have nothing to do with the UK, but...

Doing a favour for a local church who had a broken antenna on the TX pack for a lav, I contacted our local Trantec mob and they refused to sell me just an antenna or even a TX pack and tried to push a whole new system.

I ended up making my own antenna with some wire and some heatshrink. It's still going strong after 2 years and cost approximately 10 cents to earn a lot of goodwill!.

One consideration...what frequency were you using 15 years ago to match in with the lav mics. Is it still on the free list? That's an advantage of the Line6.

One consideration...what frequency were you using 15 years ago to match in with the lav mics. Is it still on the free list? That's an advantage of the Line6.

Quite right - no longer free - but as they are in the middle of nowhere, I don't think they were too worried!

S

I'm happy with the Line6 V75s I've got for our theatre and wondered about the V35 which seems reasonably priced.

WE've got a Line 6 V35 handheld system in our church. It's ok but the power switch which is a push switch can be difficult for people to operate. We did have an issue where by when the user tried to turn it off they pressed the channel button instead. Trantec if I remember correctly have proper switches.

What is the model of the broken Trantec system?

Quite right - no longer free - but as they are in the middle of nowhere, I don't think they were too worried!

S

You're unlikely to get any sympathy here with this.

The switchover (caused partially by not enough people paying for licenses) cost me £50,000 and other people here had to pay heavily too (no doubt more in some cases) . The penalty for broadcasting without the correct license is up to £5000 and 6 months in prison. If the unit tunes to channel 70 then this is ideal as you don't need a license which would likely be an un-necessary expense for you. You'll benefit here from being in the middle of nowhere as there is likely less 'traffic' in this channel keeping it free for your use. Reliability is important here. you say you have some other wireless stuff, one assumes this too may not conform to current licensing.

The line 6 stuff appears to have a good reputation for lower channel numbers although there are a couple of things to watch out for. (Worth searching on this forum as there has been a fair bit of discussion about it).

Incidentally (without wishing to use this to advertise) I have a couple of older Sennheiser units that will tune to the license free Channel 70 that I am able to sell. Send me a quick message if this may be of interest.

Rob

You're unlikely to get any sympathy here with this.

Not me, guv - Only yesterday that someone asked me to look at it!

Their other box seems to have 4 channels on frequencies they can use legally so I'll adjusted it to use 2 of those.

Thanks for the Sennheiser offer but I've no idea how long it will take them to decide if they've got enough money to replace it!

... and thanks to everyone else for all the good ideas.

S

S

Leaving aside the legalities, be warned that they're selling off a lot of the old frequencies for mobile phone and data use. A cell tower on your frequency would wipe out your radio mics pretty fast so you may wish to start considering the future.

Out of interest, what frequency is it?

Don't know for the old, dead one. The receiver is mounted on top of the organ so access is difficult!!

S

Leaving aside the legalities, be warned that they're selling off a lot of the old frequencies for mobile phone and data use. A cell tower on your frequency would wipe out your radio mics pretty fast so you may wish to start considering the future.

Yes - I have passed that on to them.

As, I suspect, with many non-tech people who had old non-licensed systems, they had no idea about the changes in legislation but are more than happy to comply once told.

On a tight budget the kit from JTS is great. They're very robust and I've owned 4 systems for about 10 years now and they've been my most reliable radio mics I've ever owned. Beltpacks are a little large, but that won't bother you.

If second hand doesn't bother them then keep an eye on eBay. There are some very cheap Trantec S5.3 systems turning up on there.

Be very wary of any overly cheap radio mics on eBay. There may be some bargains to be had but you're just as likely to get either a counterfeit rip off or something operating on illegal frequencies...or, if you're lucky, both.

Archived