Building our own lighting setup

szymon

At the start, you said you hired this:

"2 Way Splitter 63API-63ASkt"

Looks like it was a 63A single phase plug to 2x 63A single phase sockets. So your hall must have a 63A single phase socket.

You might need to hire that one again if you get yourself some decent dimmers :D . 60-63A for 12 channels is pretty good going at ~1200W average per channel. Assuming you get some dimmers with 10A channels, you could load some channels to 2kW and some might only have 500W/575W/650W on them. You have lots of rigging options with that supply and some dimmers like have been suggested.

Also I see you hired a Strand Act 6+ dimmer. A Betapack is pretty much the same thing, but the Act 6+ has local faders and single 15A sockets per channel. The Betapack has two 15A sockets per channel and you use a separate desk.

.......... the Act 6+ has local faders and single 15A sockets per channel. The Betapack has two 15A sockets per channel and you use a separate desk.

Confused by this bit as my Act6+ (now sold on) I recall being like this ..... with 2 sets of 15A sockets per channel and no local faders http://www.blue-room.org.uk/public/style_emoticons/default/unsure.gif

Edit: confusion over...think I must have had a later version as I have now seen datasheets for the model you refer to ... sorry.

Erik, I think you're right and I'm wrong. The Act6 had local faders, the Act6+ not. The reverse of the Betapacks as the 'plus' there had the faders!

Anyway the OP hired a 6 channel 10A/channel rack dimmer, and possibly had another from somewhere hence the 63A splitter.

Cheers, Kevin

Act 6 was followed by Act 6+ - and neither of mine have local faders - The Act 6 had the DMX module as a plug in unit, and the first ones had DMX and D54 in and out.The Act 6 with the control panel was a different unit - and the socket spacing adjusted to give space for the faders. The Act6+ from more than a few feet away looks identical to the Act 6. So there really are quite a few variants - with 16A, 15A, continental and even 3 dimmer versions (was that Act3??) You can add a module to a 10v only version by removing the blanking plate and adding the module, but the ones with local faders are a single front panel. Confusing!

Act 6 was followed by Act 6+ - and neither of mine have local faders - The Act 6 had the DMX module as a plug in unit, and the first ones had DMX and D54 in and out.The Act 6 with the control panel was a different unit - and the socket spacing adjusted to give space for the faders. The Act6+ from more than a few feet away looks identical to the Act 6. So there really are quite a few variants - with 16A, 15A, continental and even 3 dimmer versions (was that Act3??) You can add a module to a 10v only version by removing the blanking plate and adding the module, but the ones with local faders are a single front panel. Confusing!

Feel much better now.....I have every right to be confused by the Act 6 species http://www.blue-room.org.uk/public/style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif ..... anyway apologies to OP...I'll go back on topic now.

When I was doing similar things, I found Socapex distribution not that helpful, and VERY expensive - because even when you have it, all your outlets end up in the same place, and with limited kit, you still end up using lengths of TRS to get to where the kit is! So personally, I would scrap the Socapex and the spiders and just buy decent rubber cable and make up lengths to suit the first install, and a few extras. Socapex is great and handy for quick installs, but if time is not a major problem, running out TRS to where it's needed for each different show may well be more useful.

If you need a followspot, I'd investigate the Chinese ones that look a bit like a Clay Paky Golden scan - they're cheap and have a 3 year guarantee from many of the usual source dealers - and have been pretty good for me. you get extra brightness compared to the Cantata version, and have built in colours. If you have a handy local electrician - also consider the 6 way rack packs sold under different brands that can easily have sockets fitted locally. You can cut a few corners here and there.

I rather like the 4 1.2K Fresnel idea - nice light, and plenty of it. I'd probably take the PAR64s if they were cheap, but don't forget lamps are expensive.

Just be sure that other users can "switch the lights on" and you can have better control if you want. Other users will need to light whoever they put on stage. Sadly this usually precludes a PC based controller. Most people can push faders up, fewer people can program a cue stack of one. There will be plenty of fader desks still functioning after 5 years, but that's really OLD for a computer.

Maybe you should plan for a nice cue stack desk for your use and some faders or switches for other users.

Hard wire dimmers can be taken out to a row of 15a sockets used as a patch panel.

I've seen, in village halls, an ammeter in the mains feed so that there can be too much load on the rig sensibly run keeping within the available power rating

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Pulsar-Datapack-18-Channel-DMX-Lighting-Dimmer-/281503298053

Could be interesting. All hard wired, 18 channels at 5a -just be very sure to use the right FF rated fuses.

Just to follow this up -- I've now managed to source, thanks to a lovely member on here, a set of three dimmer racks (one Strand Act 6 and two Green Gingers, all 15A connectors) along with a Showtec 72 Channel demux. I'm only just slightly over my allotted budget, so I'm now popular with the finance guy, and this should hopefully keep us going for many years. Wonderful result! :-)

I also wanted to thank the others who got in touch, both on this thread and direct via email. This is an amazingly supportive community, and I really appreciate the help!

-simon

Archived