Something new from Roland

cedd

This was removed from the Church Production website earlier, guess they jumped the gun....

Roland describes the new O.H.R.C.A technology as “Open”, “High Resolution”, and “Configurable Architecture” by delivering freely definable audio paths, supporting multiple audio formats protocols, plus pristine 96 kHz sound quality throughout the system. The new Roland M-5000 Live Mixing Console is the first product based on O.H.R.C.A opening what the company says is a new generation of live sound solutions for audio professionals.

The Roland M-5000’s internal mix architecture is not fixed and can be freely defined for mixing channels, auxes, matrices, subgroup buses, mix-minus buses within a range of up to 128 audio paths allowing user to create a console structure to suit the needs of the application.

The M-5000 has two built-in REAC ports, plus two expansion card slots for Dante, MADI, Waves SoundGrid, or more REAC ports, as well as future formats. The back panel includes 16x16 analog I/O, 4x4 AES/EBU, a 16x16 USB audio interface, connection for control via an iPad connected or wireless, and control ports including footswitches, GP I/O, RS-232C and MIDI. All of this capability enables the console to see up to 300 inputs and 296 outputs, all at 96kHz and even more at 48kHz.

Read CPM's First Impression of the new Roland M-5000 Live Mixing Console (visit link)

Roland says a flexible workflow is at the heart of O.H.R.C.A and the M-5000 is very responsive. Control includes 12-inch color touch screen, 28 channel faders in four groups, anchor points, DCA spills, multifunction knobs and buttons, plus a user-assignable section. Full functioning remote control software (Mac/Windows) extends the user interface beyond the built-in GUI resulting in flexible organization of critical pages or meters on external monitors.

Pristine 96 kHz audio with world-class mic pre’s built into the console as well as Roland’s extensive digital snake lineup ensures the highest quality of sound end to end, according to a company announcement. Effects include four-band PEQs, eight stereo multi-effect processors of Roland classic vintage and famous Boss compact pedals plus 32, 31-band Graphic EQs. Mains can be configured for 5.1, LCR, LR, plus surround panning and stereo downmix.

The extensive family of the Roland Pro Audio products such as digital snakes, M-48 personal mixing system and Roland R-1000 recording/playback products work seamlessly with the new platform, an exciting upgrade for thousands of existing users

Redundant inputs per channel strip, 128 channel strips, DCA spills, digital scribble strips, 96kHz, 16x16 ASIO via USB.

Roland really have jumped up a step in the market! Those features rival Digico, Midas and the likes! I wonder what the price point will be! Really hoping it's a lot more than I can afford, but I suspect it won't be!

Anybody fancy buying an M480 and M300?

This does beg the question, if it's 96kHz then we must be about to see some 96kHz stageboxes on their way too.

So rather than try and join the race to the bottom, they've used their technical expertise to provide "big boys toys"...

Will it be at a similar price point though? Furthermore, given how Midas are enjoying low production costs and passing this on for their smaller Pro series desks, will it be competitive?

Hi All

The S4000 series boxes are already 96K (with 48K down sample).

The newer S-2416 are also 96K native. So that is already a done deal.

Both S4000 and S-2416 have superb mic pre's and conversion way above S-1608 performance (48K only and with lower cost mic amps/conversion). You get what you pay for.

We know what the price is likely to be. We have the ball park mapped out.

We cant tell you that yet as final release changes will finesse it.

You are going to be "satisfied".

We are well ahead of the curve. I have had my hands on the board already and SFL have been involved in inputting into this exciting project. Would you like to see?

Mark

Redundant inputs per channel strip, 128 channel strips, DCA spills, digital scribble strips, 96kHz, 16x16 ASIO via USB.

Roland really have jumped up a step in the market! Those features rival Digico, Midas and the likes! I wonder what the price point will be! Really hoping it's a lot more than I can afford, but I suspect it won't be!

This does beg the question, if it's 96kHz then we must be about to see some 96kHz stageboxes on their way too.

I'd be particularly interested to know a bit more about the scene memories and their user interface. The functionality of the M480 scene memory is really good, with per-scene recall scope.

I wish I was a bit nearer to SFL, I'd love to have a play with one in the flesh, I'm a very happy M300 and M480 user.

Hi cedd

Shame on you fella...... you should know that all Roland Stage Boxes are capable of running in 96Khz......... so it means anyone who owns a Roland stage box can splash out on a new 96Khz desk and get more out of their existing investment :-)).... so, S-1608, S-0808, S-2416, S-3208 all work at 96Khz with a 96Khz Roland M-5000...... wonderful eh? Best. Chrishttp://www.blue-room.org.uk/public/style_emoticons/default/rolleyes.gif

• 4 weeks later...
I have literally just got back from SFL collecting slot cards and a hard drive recorder. Me and Joolsy at Eurohire have been reading up on this as it was announced whilst on tour with the Stylistics where we were using a pair of M480s. Very impressed with the M480, if you had an M5000 in the building today and I missed it, I'm very much gutted, which I'd read this first! It's potentially on the 2015 wish list!

I estimate it will be around QL5 money, hopefully this side of that.

Im really impressed from what little I have seen. However it is a Roland,

which ever way you dress it up have a small presence in the pro audio desk industry.

Hopefully this desk will blow everything out the water, and build massive inroads for Roland,

it certain appears it has the spec.

However rider friendliness is important, and the sector this product could make a large impact on

the sum will have to be a considered investment against the competition.

price will be make or break for the widespread adoption of this platform.

Archived