Shattering Bottles

geralddickens

This is all good but how do you make a bottle shape.

Think the clue is in the line "Pour it into whatever mould you're using and let it cool."

Not sure the best material to use to make a mould of a bottle, but I daresay you could ask in any half-decent art shop - their staff tend to be pretty knowledgeable I've found.

use plaster of paris to take a cast of a real bottle. I should think you would need a "positive" and a "negative" to get the thickness (unless the sugar glass is "coating consistency" - don't know I've never done it.) You would then cast two halves and glue them together. (I should think you would need to coat the plaster of paris with a barrier of some sort like vaseline, as it's porous.)

Flints do the raw material, (they call it "breakaway glass") but it's not cheap at £190 for 25kg. (old prices) I suspect that goes a long way though. I've no idea about recipes for home made sugar glass.

They also sell ready made bottles, but with the same proviso: "We can only despatch these goods at the customer's own risk". they do a range of 12 or 14 different items - bottles, glasses, cut glass decanter etc.

use plaster of paris to take a cast of a real bottle. I should think you would need a "positive" and a "negative" to get the thickness (unless the sugar glass is "coating consistency" - don't know I've never done it.) You would then cast two halves and glue them together. (I should think you would need to coat the plaster of paris with a barrier of some sort like vaseline, as it's porous.)

I would have suggested making a plaster mould, but plaster gets ridiculously hot as it sets, so I'm not sure of the safety implications.

I daresay, if plaster would be safe to use, you could make a two-part mould - make a fence around a board and then fill it with plaster and sit the bottle in it. You might need to break the bottle to get it out however. Then do the same again to cast the other side.

Smear vaseline into both plaster moulds, and paint the sugar in, building it up layer by layer - experimentation will tell you how many layers thick it needs to be. Then put both halves together, and seal them on the inside with more liquid sugar.

All this attempted at your own risk.

Archived