24inch Monitor on lighting rig - Theatre

loudwill

Hi all,

This is my first post, so here goes.

I am mounting a 24inch monitor onto a lighting rig in a small theatre to display warning and welcome signs.

I am trying to construct a VGA over CAT5E cable, is this the best way of getting the feed to the monitor?

Also,

What colours are best for background and type, I mean, what colours are best for making things stand out.

Many Thanks,

loudwill

I am trying to construct a VGA over CAT5E cable, is this the best way of getting the feed to the monitor?

Construct the cable yourself?

Normally to achieve VGA over Cat5E you would use baluns... these will come in the form of little boxes, one to go VGA --> Cat5 , and one to go Cat5 --> VGA at the other end.

I find that Lindy is the best place for value-for-money VGA baluns, in that they do excellent professional products at quite affordable prices. But if you want to keep your costs down you will be able to find something on CPC for less.

Hi, and welcome to the Blue Room.

Something like this will do the trick up to 80M (they do another one that will do a greater distance). As TC said above, the computer plugs into one end and the screen plugs into the other adaptor. If I remember correctly, only one end needs to be powered so you could have the PSU at the control point (by your PC) and not have to worry about having an extra socket on the rig.

For what it's worth, I'd put a Cat5/6 socket on both ends of your Cat5 cable and use ready made Cat5 patch leads to go between the adaptors and the main Cat5 - Crimping on Cat5 ends is not fun, especially when you're on a ladder!

Hope it goes well for you!

Rob

Archived