Headset Radio Mic - 'Semi Budget'

dhutch

I am looking for a headset radio mic for a university sports club, for the coach to lead training sessions.

Needs to be fairly bomb proof and easy to use, and will be taken between venues.

Money is tight, but it also needs to last the year (3 sessions a week) and ideally several years after that.

The Trantec S4.4 system has cropped up in some past posts I have found, which appears to be around £165, although I have yet to find it with the HM-66 'Aerobic' mic for that price. Is that still a good system.

I had expected to get a digital system, but it seems at the price most of analog uhf?

Daniel

Keeping in mind that the usual starter professional mic system comes in at 500 quid nowadays, (analogue or digital) you'll only find the basic kit for less than 200 quid. The Trantec 4 series is actually pretty good - the receivers are very good, and have a good reputation. The packs are a little plasticy but pretty reliable - the aerobics headset, however is awful. I've got one somewhere, and it functions - but is overly heavy, very chunky, and is best attached to the users head with gaffer tape!

For sports type use or extreme dance classes, the only real requirement is keeping stuff on the head, and perhaps a bit pf extra foam on the capsule because of the panting and heavy breathing.

People like CPC do plenty of light weight headsets for around the £50 or less mark that if worn under a headband will stay put, and sound good.

As for your needs to last requirement - personally, I'd expect to get through quite a few headsets, and probably a few packs. Most dance/sports locations have hard floors, the users move violently, and the packs will hit the floor numerous times. The usual suggestions for decent quality products at the £500 starting price tend to be metal, and will last longer. I've seen the Trantecs shatter spectacularly popping out of a leotard flying gracefully through the air and landing on a corner - breaking into an unrepairable mess. The headsets often get trapped in clothing and get their cables snapped.

You can use all sorts of pouches and mics with steel wire inside to make them stronger, but your cost goes up.

If you have no realistic budget, you will get a system that works, but is going to need constant care and attention. More expensive ones can be at least repaired. The receivers tend to last for ever, because they get left alone.

Back in April I bought four Sennheiser XS type radio microphones and, so far, they seem well made an reliable.

The model I bought came with a lav mic but I wanted headsets so I took a chance and ordered 4 of THESE from China. Here in Aus they're $27 per mic so, if they apply the right exchange rate they should be around fiften pounds at your end. My intent was to treat the headsets as "disposables" but, although they look flimsy, so far all my original mics are still going. Soundwise they need a bit of EQ for musical use but, being slightly toppy, this might even be an advantage where you want a voice to cut through and be understandable.

They might be worth looking at and buying a few rather than trying to nurse a single more expensive headset as long as you need to.

Thanks for the replies, particularly the comment on the aerobics headsets being poor.

Would it therefore be sensible to get to bog standard S4.4 system, see how that goes, and if need be buy a better mic? I presume the belt packs just have a standard 3.5mm jack in them?

Oddly enough, but not for the first time, maplins seems to be a cheap as anywhere else...

http://www.maplin.co...ne-system-r61uv

The other option appears to be the Shure BLX14 which seems to be there equiv to the S4.4?

http://www.djkit.com...31.html?cat=338

The training is done indoor in a variety of sports rooms/halls (anywhere cheap with a decent floor area and high ceilings) which all have there own PA system of varying sorts, some are limited to a single input, which as there will also be music (typically a phone or iPod) they will need a way of getting that into a single line, and a few adapters to get it to whatever that venue calls for.

Daniel

It's not that the headsets are poor - but the use they get wrecks them. If you careful put them on, and take them off, they last. The problem is some of the 'aerobics' specials are pretty chunky and heavy, and these features make the damn things fall off - hence my tongue on cheek gaffer tape comment. The thin wire types are not too bad, but a miss timed hand swing can rip them off and bend them to death. SO it's the heavy use they get that's the issue - breaking headsets is considered running costs in most theatre shows - I even have forms to fill in to list damaged DPA headsets for panto, and the quantity is always much higher than I'd like - and these are normal people, not aerobics instructors or dancers!

Archived