Cable testers

morristech

http://www.behringer.com/EN/Products/CT100.aspx for XLRs, it's intermittient lights are invaluable!

http://www.studiospares.com/test-gear/studiospares-ultimate-cable-tester/invt/458260 for sheer versitility and number of cables it can test.

Josh

I have the same two, would agree with others, the berry turns itself on in my toolbox and will need a new battery after a year of that happening. Due to cheap connectors employed in them I would recommend a separate soldering jig however (piece for 3"×2" with 25mm holes 25mm apart. Screw in relevant d type panel mounts)

my tuppeny worth:

1. rat sniffer is invaluable particularly for in situ multicores - it shouldn't be your only tool but fast and easy, I wouldn't be without one. I had an old model, aquired in 2011 but I wasn't kind to it and they did have early manufacturing problems. so I ordered anotehr in February this year. I used http://www.u-e-p.co.uk/ - they did have a seperate products web site but it seems to be down at the moment. may be worth a call particularly if uk supply is important to you - the guy there was steve butcher - I got my delivey in about 48 hours

thomann also stock the full range now though and they rarely take more than 5 days to deliver - watch those carraige charges though!

http://www.thomann.de/gb/sound_tools_xlr_sniffer_sender.htm

2. behringer ct100 - I picked up one earlier this year and I am the last to bash behri products but you could make and break xlr tests by wobbling them in the connector on the tester - and no it wasn't the cables (I gave up after 10 cables) it WAS the tester - pure laziness stops me from finding the receipt and losing an hour of my life standing at cpc trade counter trying to explain to them what's wrong. (you can lose hours of your life in there as it is already!)

3. I have one similar to the studio spares one linked above, the knob is unkind to your hand and wrist but otherwise perfectly fine and a damned sight easier than a multimeter - something like this should be in every engineers tool kit. and store, and drawer at home.

Those cable jog ones do look great! The big plus for me is that they do RJ45 without having to remove the ethercon shell. That's so useful!

If you're going to PLASA, then Cable Jog have in the past had special offers on their stand.

I've received my CT100 and am very pleased! Haven't had the chance to put it to use yet but I'm sure it will come in handy soon.

Has anyone tried outputting from one and inputting to another to test an installed cable where both ends aren't available?

Has anyone tried outputting from one and inputting to another to test an installed cable where both ends aren't available?

Yes, mainly out of curiosity's sake. IIRC it doesn't work, but you get some interesting light patterns going on!

You can put it into a single ended test by holding down reset as you turn it on, and then a set of shorting plugs at the far end will light up. Only works on one of the gender connectors though - I think it's out - so you'll need to be at the correct end, or have a reverser handy.

Philip

Thanks for all the suggestions, they are very much appreciated! I'm thinking the Berry is the way to go for now, I can see the intermittent lights being particularly useful, and it looks fairly compact compared to the others. The ability to use it as a soldering stand is an added bonus!

I will order The Sniffer in the near future, I'm slowly building up my toolkit as I'm working more and more. At least my tax is going to be low this year!

Has there ever been a universal sniffer/sender with a selection of connectors on? It always struck me as a good idea but I've never seen one.

Andy

mine must be quite old I am sure it runs off a 9v battery - maybe changed it once.

someone mentioned if wiggling cable caused intermitent flashing - this is one of the tests and indicates a dodgy cable!

Archived